Another and Atopic diseases and Autism “severity”

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 8:28 am

Eczema and related atopic diseases are associated with increased symptom severity in children with autism spectrum disorder

Quote:
Because of the shared embryonic origin (the ectoderm), the skin and brain are thought to communicate (the so-called skin-brain-immune axis). Indeed, there is a strong correlation between autism spectrum disorder and pro-inflammatory mediators, such as IL-4 and IL-17, that exert an effect due to epithelial barrier dysfunction.

ADOS-2 scores were used to determine the total, social, and non-social symptoms in 45 atopic and 93 non-atopic children with autism spectrum disorder.

Children with atopy and autism spectrum disorder had 2.4- and 2.7-fold more severe overall and social symptoms compared to children with autism spectrum disorder but without atopy.

Waste of time and money to find the obvious. If an Autistic is not feeling well, the Autistic is going to present as “more autistic”. Atopic diseases are going to be even more uncomfortable for a sensory sensitive autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 9:10 pm

I see what you mean.
Similarly, I wonder if fear and embarrassment in case people saw their flakey skin was counted as an autistic social symptom?