Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 10:30 am

Does anyone else have, or have had when they were younger, a fascination with water?

I've always been obsessed with water for visual and sensory reasons. When I was really little I was the type of autistic child that would dart to bodies of water (which was probably terrifying to everyone in my family, even though I rarely tried to get in the water). I would "play" in the sink and just watch the water flow out of the tap, listen to it, and feel it run over my hands. I've also always taken really long showers and baths because I like listening to the water and feeling it on my skin.

As an adult I still really like water. I have a lot of videos and pictures of bodies of water on my phone (probably more than anything else that I take pictures of lol). I still like to watch + listen to water flow, and watch the glare from the sun on the surface of water. I kind of avoid going near bodies of water though because I've developed a fear of drowning. I've been learning to swim though so I'm less scared of drowning.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:05 pm

My parents were into swimming, boating, and water skiis, so I was around water a lot. Much later, I went out to test some equipment I'd made, and didn't notice that I was floating until it checked out.
As a high-scorer in science, I got invited to three sample University lectures. I can't remember two of them, but the third was two intense hours on how water boils, and they were just covering the introduction. Since then, far more has been learned about states of water. On the practical side, ice-cold water drains very slowly from a surface, and you can tell water temperature from the sounds it makes.
It has been shown that humans prefer to live on a hill overlooking water. I strongly suspect that the reason there is recreational boating is because of a gene that makes people enjoy it. This is pretty crazy, but the gene is common because people with it did most of the travel to new lands, spreading along coasts first.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:16 pm

when i was younger i would watch the water in the shower.

Then I liked seeing how long it took for clothes to air dry and what affected it, like open windows or temperature.

Also when water is evaporating off a hot surface and you see the last bits disappear

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:28 pm

Water has always been part of my life.
I grew up on boats, and with lakeside cottages.
We also had a swimming pool.
Now I have my own waterfront home (cottage).

I love watching water especially in rivers.
I love (repeat: LOVE) rainy days.

When I was young I loved hand-washing my doll clothes.
I would make a sink full of bubbles and wash them repeatedly.
I liked jumping through sprinklers and going on waterslides.

I was always fascinated by the water cycle.
I still think it's incredible we are using the same water dinosaurs used.
Water can't be created or destroyed, much like energy.

My only issue now is that I can't stand touching water with my hands.
That made it very difficult to keep aquaria, but I did it anyway.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:33 pm

A friend of mine lived with two cats that always provided the after-dinner entertainment. They would put down a saucer of water, and one cat would stare into it, and bat at their reflection whenever the water was still. The other ignored the saucer, but was fascinated by the drops of water splashed out. It would approach one glistening on the carpet, and then see it vanish, over and over.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:50 pm

I learned how to swim at an early age and loved water as a kid. Of course, I don't love it as much now. I don't love anything much anymore. I'm lucky if I even still like it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 8:51 am

Dear_one wrote:
A friend of mine lived with two cats that always provided the after-dinner entertainment. They would put down a saucer of water, and one cat would stare into it, and bat at their reflection whenever the water was still. The other ignored the saucer, but was fascinated by the drops of water splashed out. It would approach one glistening on the carpet, and then see it vanish, over and over.

I was going to compare the OP with a cat

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 9:12 am

I love the water. I used to swim for hours when I was younger. I don't swim too much these days. I still love water to this day, though.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 10:01 am

I've heard it's very common for autistic people to be fascinated by water.

Personally, I've always like watching the sea, lakes and rivers, and ponds too if the scenery is nice. I like swimming too, and for a long time I couldn't figure out how come I hated showering despite all this, until it hit me that it's not actually the showering part that I hate, but the taking off- and putting on clothes -part. Sensory issues, you know, and I suppose a bit of a problem with switching from a task to another, too.

I also think it'd be nice to live in a place with a nice water view, but that's probably not gonna happen since it tends to be expensive...

armandreyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Oct 2022, 10:06 am

yes

Merboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2022, 3:32 pm

Swimming has become one of my huge passions over the last 6 or 7 years, one of the reasons for this is because I really love the sensory effects of water. I enjoy the physical feel of water, the way that it makes it easy do quite acrobatic things like tumbling over, and it's also a visual stim for me.

I also love the aesthetic of swimmings pools, and I even like to watch the videos on instagram that combine footage of the sea and rivers with atmospheric music.
I go to the swimming pool most days, and because I live near the sea I like to sit on the beach listening to my music and watching the waves. It totally helps to get rid of any stress that I'm feeling.

Last edited by Merboy on 03 Oct 2022, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 5:41 pm

klanka wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I was going to compare the OP with a cat

Why? :lol: Don't cats commonly dislike water?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 5:44 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I've heard it's very common for autistic people to be fascinated by water.

Personally, I've always like watching the sea, lakes and rivers, and ponds too if the scenery is nice. I like swimming too, and for a long time I couldn't figure out how come I hated showering despite all this, until it hit me that it's not actually the showering part that I hate, but the taking off- and putting on clothes -part. Sensory issues, you know, and I suppose a bit of a problem with switching from a task to another, too.

I also think it'd be nice to live in a place with a nice water view, but that's probably not gonna happen since it tends to be expensive...

I love the act of showering, but I absolutely hate transitioning from out of the shower, to into the shower, and back to out of the shower. A lot of the time I will avoid getting in and out.

domains
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2022, 5:45 pm

yes, plus fascination for all water-dwelling animals, specifically whales

its funny cause i love water, playing in it, watching it, especially being submerged in it
but as a kid i could not stand the taste/texture of water when i had to drink it

took a while to get myself to drink water

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 5:48 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I love the water. I used to swim for hours when I was younger. I don't swim too much these days. I still love water to this day, though.

I used to be able to swim underwater when I was a kid and I could do that for hours, too. I can't reliably swim under or above water now though.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 5:50 pm

domains wrote:
yes, plus fascination for all water-dwelling animals, specifically whales

its funny cause i love water, playing in it, watching it, especially being submerged in it
but as a kid i could not stand the taste/texture of water when i had to drink it

took a while to get myself to drink water

I used to not really drink water when I was a kid, mainly just apple juice and milk. I only drink water now though and now that I'm used to it I prefer it over every other type of beverage.