Need Help Finding Assessment Near Me (USA, IN)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

WiingNutt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2022, 2:19 pm

Hello; I’ve done research on autism before for the sake of characters I’m writing, but I never really related until I looked into symptoms shown in those AFAB/female. Now, I’m really confused and feel I may more than likely be undiagnosed.

I’ve gotten above-average scores on just about every test I’ve taken, but I want to be absolutely sure, as I don’t feel entirely comfortable self-diagnosing this.

I’m located in Indiana and unable to drive (no license). I’m also unemployed, so I really need a referral to an assessor who either has a lower fee price and/or works with Medicaid.

(If it helps, I am 19, so it would need to be an assessment for an adult)

Thank you very much!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 12:18 am

WiingNutt wrote:
Hello; I’ve done research on autism before for the sake of characters I’m writing, but I never really related until I looked into symptoms shown in those AFAB/female. Now, I’m really confused and feel I may more than likely be undiagnosed.

I’ve gotten above-average scores on just about every test I’ve taken, but I want to be absolutely sure, as I don’t feel entirely comfortable self-diagnosing this.

I’m located in Indiana and unable to drive (no license). I’m also unemployed, so I really need a referral to an assessor who either has a lower fee price and/or works with Medicaid.

(If it helps, I am 19, so it would need to be an assessment for an adult)

Thank you very much!

This lists where assessments are given county by county
Autism Society of Indiana - Obtaining a Diagnosis

Contact Page for the society not individual clinitions

It is going to be very hard for you because while Medicaid insures behavioral therapies they usually do not cover assessments. While not optimal what you should do while researching where to get an assessment is continue to research autism. There is this site, blogs, and youtube videos by Autistics. Do you relate to what is being said. If they have a similar problem as you how did they mitigate or treat it?

Autistic Girls & Women by Dr. Tony Attwood

Unofficial Female Autism Checklist

Ask an Autistic Youtube series

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 10:24 am

I hope the online tests you tried include:
>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
>- Aspie-Quiz Registering is optional!
It was my score on the first one that convinced me that getting an Adult Autism Assessment made sense.

You might find the National Register of Health Service Psychologists' "Find a Psychologist" web page useful. However, when I was looking for a psychologist to assess me I didn't see any in my area whose web page listed Adult Autism Assessments as a service they provided. I believe there must not be many adults getting assessments so they don't waste space on their web page mentioning it. What I looked for was nearby psychologists who worked with Autism and with adults. Then a phone call to the practice to find out if they would do an assessment (and even the person answering the phone didn't know if they did that kind of assessment...they had to check!).

I'm unsure how Medicaid affects things, though. Definitely call them to ask and follow their processes and keep good records.

And, good luck!