‘Slave Auction’ leads to forfeit of HS Football Season

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 6:37 pm

Reprehensible’: Members of high school football team in California acted out slave auction

Quote:
A high school football team in Yuba City, California, will be forfeiting the remainder of the season after some of the team members acted out a slave auction, the superintendent of the Yuba City Unified School District said.

Superintendent Doreen Osumi said the district received a video Thursday of the “reprehensible act,” which allegedly showed team members at River Valley High School pretending to auction three of their Black teammates in the locker room.

Osumi added that the players involved in the “unfortunate and extremely distressing incident” will not be allowed to play for the rest of the season.

“They violated our student athlete code of conduct which they all signed and committed to follow, and that will not be ignored or minimized,” Osumi wrote, in part, in a lengthy statement. “As a result, we do not have the necessary number of players to safely field the varsity team and must thus forfeit the remainder of the season.”

Osumi added that the incident “tells us that we have a great deal of work to do with our students.”

The video was first shared in a group chat between students, though at least one student claims the clip made its way to social media.

“I seen it on TikTok,” said one student who spoke with KTXL. “And I sit next to the guy that recorded the video, in my second-period [class] … It’s really shocking, because especially after I seen who [recorded it], because, y’know, I never thought he would do that.”

The school board is making plans to turn the incident into a teachable moment for students who may not realize the “deeply offensive” nature of the athletes’ actions, Osumi said.

They deserve to be held back for not realizing that it would get out on social media.

Obviously the above is the least of the problems with this.

I have posted a few articles about ‘slave auctions’ including one as part of a history lesson.
Our baby boom generation is being racked over the coals for our acceptance of casual racist language and jokes back in the day but I don’t remember anybody doing something along those lines.

Besides the black players auctioned off I feel for the members of the team not involved. Not only is their season ruined but being a member of that team is going to follow them around for a long time. Forget about football scholarships.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 7:29 pm

Were the black players active participants, and if so, were they sanctioned along with the others?

I can't help but notice the similarity to the rhetoric used recently by Colin Kaepernick likening the NFL draft to a slave auction, which was pretty cringe but didn't result in him getting canceled.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 7:55 pm

That was a pretty stupid idea. It boggles my mind how people can be that racist this day and age.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 8:06 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That was a pretty stupid idea. It boggles my mind how people can be that racist this day and age.

Eh, I'd hold off on the racist accusation until more context is given, could just be kids trying to be edgy, especially if the black teammates were actively participating.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 8:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Were the black players active participants, and if so, were they sanctioned along with the others?

I can't help but notice the similarity to the rhetoric used recently by Colin Kaepernick likening the NFL draft to a slave auction, which was pretty cringe but didn't result in him getting canceled.

It would seem the whole team was sanctioned, so yes it follows that those who were "auctioned" are also being punished. Doesn't really make a lot of sense. While it was in poor taste (to say the least) It will likely ruin any chance they had for a scholarship if they were hoping for one to pay for college.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 10:45 pm

DanielW wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

It would seem the whole team was sanctioned, so yes it follows that those who were "auctioned" are also being punished. Doesn't really make a lot of sense. While it was in poor taste (to say the least) It will likely ruin any chance they had for a scholarship if they were hoping for one to pay for college.

The whole team was not sanctioned but enough players were so it was impossible to field a team making the non-participants collateral damage.

Dox47 wrote:
Were the black players active participants?

The video has been obtained by a couple of TV stations. At 42 seconds the reporter said the video showed three black players in their undergarments lined up against a wall as white students and others laughed and shouted out prices.
Who are the others? Black teammates, nonblack nonwhite teammates, staff?.Were the black "slaves" in on the joke, did not like it, but felt they had to participate for team camaraderie(hazing?), or felt if they did not participate there would be very bad consequences?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 7:32 am

It amounts to the same thing then, If they can't play the season