Brooklyn College mandates bias training on holy day

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 10:12 am

Brooklyn College Schedules Obligatory ‘Implicit Bias Coaching’ on Yom Kippur

Quote:
The Brooklyn College faculty has scheduled a mandatory “implicit bias coaching” for members of the school’s search committees for the morning of Yom Kippur.

The watchdog group StopAntiSemitism reported that the coaching is remitted for many who serve on job search committees with one of many 4 Zoom periods set for 11:30 AM Wednesday, the morning of Yom Kippur.

The group cited a Jewish professor who said that picking the date which is the holiest day of the year to all Jews, constitutes an act of bias against “observant Jews and secular Jews who sometimes attend providers on this at some point of the year. Such Jews are afforded solely three assembly alternatives, whereas all others are afforded 4.”

“That seems like implicit bias to me,” said the anonymous professor, who pointed out the irony of holding mandatory anti-bias coaching on a day that biases an entire segment of the college’s population.

In July, the US Department of Education accused the City University of New York of becoming a “pervasively hostile environment for Jewish students,” in a complaint alleging violations of the Civil Rights Act. According to the American Center for Law & Justice in Washington DC, “Some of the harassment on CUNY campuses has become so commonplace as to almost be normalized.”

Court papers cite incidents at Kingsborough Community College in Brooklyn where a Jewish professor “found swastikas carved into the door and her keyboard drenched in urine” and another Jewish professor from Israel was asked how many people she had killed.

The college’s former interim president said there were “too many Jews” on the school’s faculty.

As the article points out Brooklyn College is part of the City University of New York.

Is there any career consequences for not attending this “mandatory” training?

Sarcasm:
So much for “Jew York City”
End Sarcasm
Because this is apparently coming from the left not the right is no reason to downplay this type of bigotry.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 11:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

VERY surprising that they would schedule anything for Yom Kippur. The CUNY calendar, including this semester's CUNY calendar, has always avoided scheduling classes on Yom Kippur. So everyone at CUNY should know when Yom Kippur is.

Hopefully this was just a clerical error, and hopefully it was corrected ASAP???

As for the other incidents described in this article, though: Unfortunately, it does not surprise me that anti-Jewish bigotry is on the rise.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 12:03 am

CUNY schedules mandatory bias training session on Yom Kippur

Quote:
The college later announced that Jews observing Yom Kippur would be provided with another opportunity to complete the session.

“While classes are not held on Yom Kippur, the college is open on that day. In addition to these dates, staff or faculty can request an individual training session,” said spokesman Richard Pietras.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman