getting diagnosed, psych suggests mmpi2

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2022, 9:47 pm

So today, after the second visit psychologist suggested that I should take mmpi-2 test before taking ados.

I don't understand why she suggested that. Googling it, it tells me that mmpi-2 isn't used for autism, it has no autism scale. Also the test seems quite outdated. Why did she suggest it then? I don't want to be suspicious, but I can't help but be. Is she trying to make me spend more money?(the test is quite expensive)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 10:47 pm

Can you get back in touch with her and ask her? If it were me, I wouldn't do it unless she could convince me that it would be worth my while to buy it. I don't think it's being too skeptical to ask what the point is. But it might be too deferential to just go ahead and buy it without an explanation. If you don't want to appear confrontational you could just say it's rather expensive to just go and do it if there's no great need for it. If she doesn't like that, you've probably got the wrong psychologist. Just my opinion.

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2022, 11:24 pm

No, actually, during the first meeting we discussed it(alongside other tests I might eventually do), and she said ok we won't do it. Then at second visit she suddenly changed her mind and started with offering me to undergo it. She wasn't really commanding, and I'm sure it won't be an issue if I change my mind and refuse, but I was wondering why she suggested it all of a sudden.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 8:07 am

My assessment included:
>- MMPI-2 (it found a co-morbid surprise)
>- SRS-2 (for both me and my bride)
>- SCQ (for my bride and a bit of it for my Dad)
>- ADOS-2 (of course)

I think the other tests provided additional confirmation of some ASD traits.

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2022, 5:10 pm

Double Retired wrote:
My assessment included:
>- MMPI-2 (it found a co-morbid surprise)
>- SRS-2 (for both me and my bride)
>- SCQ (for my bride and a bit of it for my Dad)
>- ADOS-2 (of course)

I think the other tests provided additional confirmation of some ASD traits.

Interesting. Can you tell me more about mmpi-2? Were the results discussed with you, was it explained how it related to your autism?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 6:02 pm

himmellaufen wrote:
Interesting. Can you tell me more about mmpi-2? Were the results discussed with you, was it explained how it related to your autism?
The written assessment report I received had about a page commenting on the MMPI-2 results. Like I said it identified on co-morbid condition and otherwise I think it may have served as a sanity-check. I'm guessing that if the results had been inconsitent with the other tests' results the psychologist would have thought that my case might be more complex than normal, or that I was faking something.

But I don't know.