I was asked by a teacher if I was planning a shooting

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2022, 8:52 am

jimmy m wrote:
I am different than most NTs. I have figured the cause to be a brain injury when I was around 3 years old. I was attacked by a large bull. It weighted over 1,000 pounds and I weighed less than 20 pounds. It was like being attacked by a dinosaur. I died. At least the dominant left side of my brain died that day. But my non-dominant right side survived and did a brain flip to survive. The qualities of the right side of the brain are dramatically different than the left side.

After the brain flip, life was good. It was only after the age where a child becomes an adult, around age 12 or 13, that my world came to an end and I suffered physical attacks and mental attacks daily at school. This lasted for 3 years between the 5th through 8th grade. In my first year of high school, they figured out that I was a little weird and they sent me to a special class called SPEED READING. Most people learn to read from the start of a paragraph word by word to the end. But in speed reading you read differently from the inside out. The class taught me how to read, even the most difficult subjects. And I went off to college and earned a degree in Physics at UCLA.

The point is that my right side brain was extremely fast at reading and then deleting the words. I just couldn't stay on subject long enough to absorb the information. It taught me how to stay on subject long enough to learn how to read. At the end of eight grade the students voted me the LEAST LIKELY TO SUCCEED. At the end of high school, four year later, they thought I was the CLASS GENIUS. Learning how to read differently gave me that skill.

One of the skills that most NTs learn early in life is to judge people by eye contact. I do not look people directly in their eyes. The average NT can spot this trait within a half a second in a conversation. They use it to just me as evil. They are dead wrong, but that is the way of NTs. I began wearing a special type of one way sunglasses a few years ago to prevent NTs from seeing my eyes. It was profound that strangers would come up to me in the public and begin casual conversations, to me a total stranger. So in my case, since I do not give eye to eye contact, they misjudge me. That is the ways of life.

Whoa have you shared your story more in depth? That sounds interesting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 4:03 pm

What a thing for a teacher to ask an autistic student. That was rather callous of her.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 4:06 pm

"And you would take my word for it if I said 'no'?"

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 9:29 pm

I was never accused of planning a shooting by a teacher, but I did have a teacher use that as the reason why some kids shouldn't bully me in 9th grade. Some older kids were bullying me in the hallway durring lunch. A teacher saw what was happening and stopped them from bullying me, but the only justification she gave for why what they were doing was wrong and why they shouldn't do it was to bring up Columbine and talk about how that is the sort of thing that causes school shootings.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 1:40 pm

I was homeschooled with Columbine happened but had I been in a public school, I would have been suspected of planning a school shooting. If I had stayed in public school and the bullying problem just continued to fester, I probably would have. Bullying situation was never resolved, my parents just pulled me out to homeschool me. We lived in the middle of nowhere and were kinda poor. Another public school the same thing would have happened all over again and the only way to send me to a private school would be to move (which my parents were against) or send me to a boarding school out of state (which my parents were also against). So I was homeschooled. One of my friends was also homeschooled and soon another boy in the neighborhood was being homeschooled. Our mothers and grandmother (the first boy was raised by his grandparents) kinda formed a co-opp for us for field trips. We would play jokes on each other now and then but there was no real bullying. But if I had stayed in public school, I might have planned a school shooting.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2022, 11:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Shooting? That's so last decade. I'm planning a tactical nuclear strike. :twisted:

The appropriate way to respond back when OP was asked and edgy jokes on the topic were still acceptable.

I am anonymously tipping off the FBI regarding this tactical nuclear strike of yours. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 12:12 am

Teachers are human beings and he/she might have been traumatised enough to be paranoid

I know an Indian man who was asked by his best friend whether he was an Arab the day after 9-11 and whether he owned guns. I asked this man whether he punched the guy in the face, He said he understood his friend was in a reactive mood as he was badly effected from watching the twin towers collapse,

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 8:45 am

Don't they know that people who were planning something would never admit to planning something?

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 11:55 am

It's a horrible thing to be asked. Sorry for that my man.

I was also asked that once, but not at school, and while being bullied.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 12:29 pm

Ask the teacher if they have fantasies about dying in a school shooting.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 12:38 pm

They should never have asked you this - even if they suspected you of being someone capable of such an act. It is especially damaging to wage these fears toward people who are Autistic and who might come across as socially awkward.

The vast majority of Autistic males are not school shooters.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 12:52 pm

stratozyck wrote:
I am 39 now and this is something that still bothers me to this day. This was after Columbine, and they sent a teacher who used to teach at my middle school because they thought she knew me better. She asked me if I ever thought about doing violence or hurting anyone at school.

I was a weird kid - believe me I see it now with the benefit of hindsight. Inside, I am still as weird but I've learned to act more normal in front of others because you need to do that to get money. I admit - I was also a kid who did not like authority. But you know what? I am an adult that doesn't like authority.

I think they targeted me for that because I used to skip school a lot because I hated being there, and I was a weird kid that didn't dress normally and people made fun of a little. I would literally just run as fast as I could away during breaks between classes. I got away most of the time, but sometimes they sent the police after me.

What gets me now is that we know that they weren't autistic loner kids. The dude that instigated it was actually a somewhat popular sociopath. Of course, there were others that the media did highlight were autistic.

It hurt a lot because I don't have any violence towards others in me. However, I was/am weird so I think people think weird = potential killer.

Sorry that happened.

After Columbine there would have been extreme pressure on school admin. to identify any possible risk factors, and to increase mental health support for students who didn't seem to fit in or have friends. Schools and entire districts could be sued for letting these children slip through the cracks, especially if someone had expressed a concern and nothing was done. Students identified as 'at risk' could harm themselves, but they could also harm others. They might also be bullied by other students who think they're a potential shooter for spending so much time alone. Those students needed support too.

I hope this topic was broached with sensitivity by a qualified psychologist or guidance counsellor, in a private and comfortable environment, rather than in the hallway of a a busy school.

If my child had died or if my child was in high school at that time, I would have expected admin to do the same.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 12:56 pm

I think it's offensive to ask a student with autism such a question, just like it would be offensive if a teacher asked a black student the same question. Absolutely disgraceful.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 1:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think it's offensive to ask a student with autism such a question, just like it would be offensive if a teacher asked a black student the same question. Absolutely disgraceful.

I didn't read the whole thread but did the teacher say "because you are autistic" ?

I assume it was based on the OP's behaviours as a self-professed loner / weirdo, rather than a formal ID.

Example:

stratozyck wrote:
I was a weird kid - believe me I see it now with the benefit of hindsight. Inside, I am still as weird but I've learned to act more normal in front of others because you need to do that to get money. I admit - I was also a kid who did not like authority. But you know what? I am an adult that doesn't like authority.

I think they targeted me for that because I used to skip school a lot because I hated being there, and I was a weird kid that didn't dress normally and people made fun of a little. I would literally just run as fast as I could away during breaks between classes. I got away most of the time, but sometimes they sent the police after me.

It hurt a lot because I don't have any violence towards others in me. However, I was/am weird so I think people think weird = potential killer.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 1:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I didn't read the whole thread but did the teacher say "because you are autistic" ?

I assume it was based on the OP's behaviours as a self-professed loner, rather than a formal ID.

Things seem to work differently in the US. Here in the UK it would be the obnoxious, troubled kids that would be more suspected of a school shooting (if ever any). One kid did try and burn the school down one time (with everyone in it), although thankfully he didn't succeed, but he was a troubled kid from a dysfunctional family, and he wasn't quiet either.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 1:17 pm

Psychological Profilers would have analysed the killers' personalities.

Schools would have been obligated to ID students who were unhappy or didn't like school.
The OP admits he used to run from school, and he disrespected authority.

If I was in high school at that time, they likely would have questioned me as well.

It's sad, but what else can the school do?
If they don't ID someone at risk, everyone will say "Why didn't you do something?"
They would be legally responsible for a shooter's actions.
I believe this happened in Michigan with that kid whose parents were also charged.

The school district was deemed negligent and liable for his actions.

My partner is a retired counsellor for 'at-risk' teens.
He had to raise this topic with students more often than you'd imagine.

Read the last section of this article:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/24/us/ethan ... index.html

Incidentally, one of the victims in Michigan was autistic.