Low Muscle tone and how it affects you

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

autisticalabama24
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2022, 1:00 am

I wanered how having low muscle tone or motor skills problems can affect a persons life , I don't mean someone who is on the extreme sides of the autistic spectrum in low muscle tone or poor motor skills but of course people in the middle so to speak on th spectrum, I temember being terrible at most Sports growing up, Handwriting especially cursive was terrible for me, my teacher called it ' Chicken Scratch' I remember my only job at a grocery store when I was 19 yrs old {Im 42 now} i would mop a floor and my back would really bother m,e where others did it and seemed fine, I was always so tired at the end of the day, that I was fit for nothing when I got home, Were any of these things linked to low muscle tone or fine motor skils problems? I know this was a loaded post, but didnt know how to ask it properly lol any help is appreciated, thanks

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 6:55 am

Exercise stimulates the lymph system which clears out toxins. In pre industrial society we mostly all lifted things and were active.

I think the gym is a good substitute and can imagine someone who doesn't exercise being in bad health without even knowing it.

What you're talking about is endurance which is different, cardio is good as well so you can function after working.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 11:42 am

Your sports performance, handwriting, and mopping, could be caused by a lot of different things

For example, a medical condition

You can't do a controlled experiment

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 2:21 pm

I'm prone to clumsiness, though I have coping strategies for it, such as deliberately slowing down and trying to be careful how I go about any activity that requires balance or grace of movement.

I used to have very untidy handwriting, then I improved it by practice, then computers came along and I didn't get that writing practice any more, and was shocked at how bad it was when I tried to go back to it. But strangely, if I use block letters rather than cursive then it tends to come out quite neat, and it's even been called beautiful. So I don't even try to do cursive any more, and I've become quite incapable of writing my signature legibly.

I can't stand on my left leg for more than a couple of seconds but I can stand on my right leg for maybe a minute. Or maybe it's the other way round.

I seem to be able to do things that require good motor skills if I practise them diligently and take great care, but otherwise I can't. And if I get stressed out then I start rushing and my movements get very jerky. I'm fine with any movements that are part of my routines, which isn't surprising because I usually do those every day.

I don't know for sure if any of that is because of ASD, but I suspect ASD is involved in a lot of it. Apart from practice and deliberately being careful, I don't know of any help for it. If I'm tired it probably gets worse. I don't think exercise makes any difference to my clumsiness, though a reasonable amount of exercise is always a good idea from a general health point of view. I suspect hatha yoga might be slightly helpful, perhaps because it tends to make the joints a little more supple.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 9:39 am

It affects my walking, balance, endurance, bodily functions and my weight.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 7:22 pm

Well. PE was the only class I couldn't get A and I've always put a lot of extra effort in. Everybody could tell I was lean and fit, but I failed at every sport. I never learned to ride a bicycle either. The one time I went roller skating was awful. My balance is rather poor. The only thing I was good at was running long distance.

Those of you who don't have issues with muscle tone and motor issues probably don't know how fortunate you are. :) To be able to move your body gracefully, exactly the way you intended feels like magic to me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 7:56 pm

^
I'm rather wobbly on my current bicycle, but on the one I had before that I had no trouble at all. It seems to be down to the design of the bike rather than my muscle tone. Somebody decided that North Road handlebars weren't good enough, so now it's hard to get a bike with those, and they're all much straighter. They always feel to me as if they're pulling my hands and arms into an unnatural position. And the front fork seems to extend too far forwards. The overall effect of these innovations is that the bike tends to be unstable when I try to turn a corner that's anything like sharp. I've had years to get used to it but I can't seem to improve. Nobody else seems to think modern bikes are rubbish though, so maybe my skeleton is an unusual shape or something.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 12:33 am

autisticalabama24 wrote:
I wanered how having low muscle tone or motor skills problems can affect a persons life , I don't mean someone who is on the extreme sides of the autistic spectrum in low muscle tone or poor motor skills but of course people in the middle so to speak on th spectrum, I temember being terrible at most Sports growing up, Handwriting especially cursive was terrible for me, my teacher called it ' Chicken Scratch' I remember my only job at a grocery store when I was 19 yrs old {Im 42 now} i would mop a floor and my back would really bother m,e where others did it and seemed fine, I was always so tired at the end of the day, that I was fit for nothing when I got home, Were any of these things linked to low muscle tone or fine motor skils problems? I know this was a loaded post, but didnt know how to ask it properly lol any help is appreciated, thanks

I have also always been bad at sports. For some reason my parents made me do little league soccer. I hatted it; and not just because the other kids ruthelessly bullied me. Some of teachers also used to call my handwriting 'chicken scratch'; and that was after years of OT... I have also been told numerous times that I have 'doctor's handwriting'.

I took a weightlifting class in my senior year of HS, but it really didn't seem to make any difference.

I still managed to to fire/EMS. EMS was not an issue, but the fire side was I think maybe a bit too much for me physically. I still managed to do it, but especially with my dysautonomia, it was challenging.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 3:14 am

I wonder about this stuff. I've been trying to learn guitar on and off for at least 20 years but I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

I wonder if it requires coordination I simply can't achieve or if I'm just making excuses for not practicing enough.

And yes, I had to have special handwriting lessons at school because my cursive was (and remains) illegible.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 9:54 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I've been trying to learn guitar on and off for at least 20 years but I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

I wonder if it requires coordination I simply can't achieve or if I'm just making excuses for not practicing enough.

I managed to learn the guitar when I was a teenager, but I was obsessional about it and I practised till my fingers bled. And I've only ever been able to master the basics. My playing can sound good, but the standard is only the equivalent of what Ringo Starr could play on the drums in the early 1960s - i.e. quite limited compared with a virtuoso but entirely adequate for the required purpose. I can't seem to stop myself from playing in a heavy-handed way so I have to use heavy gauge strings, otherwise the guitar buzzes like mad and sounds awful. And I've never been able to flip from rhythm to solo in the middle of a song. I just get locked into whichever I'm doing at the time. I use a lot of crafty tricks to hide my mediocrity.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2022, 6:46 pm

I'm glad you posted this because compared to my family, my yard work is extremely straining. I desire to do it but I'm both horrible at it and all the "nature" around me is distracting. And I'm fairly buff so not sure on the tone issue. Anyways I hope you get the answer you're looking for

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2022, 6:48 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I wonder about this stuff. I've been trying to learn guitar on and off for at least 20 years but I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

And yes, I had to have special handwriting lessons at school because my cursive was (and remains) illegible.

Totally everything you said, except for piano.