DeSantis ROASTED By Historians For Remarks About Slavery

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 1:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The legacy of slavery in the US is completely different because of from 1619-1965 which is 450 years of continuous mistreatment, torture, rape and degradation of 15% of the US population, In my view this worse than anything done by the Nazis, Mongols or Vikings

We need a facepalm emoji so badly around here.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 3:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Every time George Washington smiled at adoring crowds he displayed his slave's teeth which were pulled painfully from their mouths to replace the ones he lost.

Considering that you started a thread to criticize a politician for getting history wrong, you'd really think you'd be more careful yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wa ... %27s_teeth

Really? I can't believe you would defend this. Slaves were not free agents or active participants in the economy (other than providing free services coerced for their master). You do realise that whatever pittance Washington used to pay for his new choppers would be used by the poor slave to purchase food or clothes or medicine so that the slave selling his teeth would not starve, die from an infection or freeze to death.

It is akin to a prison guard taking a kidney from a political prisoner in jail and giving the poor prisoner a cigarette for his trouble.

The very opposite of what your "libertarian" beliefs are supposed to proclaim

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 4:52 am

Maybe DeSatan misspoke. Then again, he might have been purposely pushing the narrative that America could do no wrong, and if they did they fixed it lickety-split, and that the Founding Fathers were demigods rather than mere men, which is the right's response to so called "woke CRT."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 8:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Maybe DeSatan misspoke. Then again, he might have been purposely pushing the narrative that America could do no wrong, and if they did they fixed it lickety-split, and that the Founding Fathers were demigods rather than mere men, which is the right's response to so called "woke CRT."

The blind faith in the founding fathers original constitution is somewhat dangerous. The environment in 1776 was that that of an invasion force and settler colony (Hitler used the occupation of the United States and genocide of native americans as a model for lebensraum in Russia) for whom guns were passed around to kill British infantry and native Americans. The laws were amenable to slavery and the plantation economy which all 4 of the founding fathers were heavily involved with. The war of independence had nothing to do with Britain and everything to do with profit. Fledgling businesses and landlords (many of whom were absentee landlords living in Britain and administering their plantations from afar wanted to stop paying paying tax to great Britian).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 8:07 am

Are we allowed to cook people? I thought it was illegal in most countries? :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 8:15 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 11:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Haha!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 2:09 pm

Where did the slaves get the teeth they were selling to Washington?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 2:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Tooth loss was common in the era, and selling the lost teeth to dentists was something frequently done by the poor, not just slaves and not just in America.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 2:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Really? I can't believe you would defend this. Slaves were not free agents or active participants in the economy (other than providing free services coerced for their master). You do realise that whatever pittance Washington used to pay for his new choppers would be used by the poor slave to purchase food or clothes or medicine so that the slave selling his teeth would not starve, die from an infection or freeze to death.

It is akin to a prison guard taking a kidney from a political prisoner in jail and giving the poor prisoner a cigarette for his trouble.

Try reading what I said again, carefully this time.

Also, you don't even know what a libertarian is.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:17 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Try reading what I said again, carefully this time.

Also, you don't even know what a libertarian is.

Yeah, I read your last post very carefully and with a fine toothed comb, it was roughly bemoaning the lack of a facepalm emoji?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

It was their own. If the slave masters also knew about organ transplant there would also be a roaring trade in kidneys and other organs derived from slaves The image portrayed by writers about Washington is patently apologist, The idea that Washington would bargain a price for his slave's teeth is laughable. He literally had the power of life and death over his slaves. A more likely scenario is he told his slave if you want more firewood this winter then let me plier your teeth at great pain to yourself or else.