Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 7:00 pm

How long do TVs last?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 8:39 pm

Your set may become technologically obsolete years before it wears out.

Mom had a Sony color TV set (cathode ray tube set) from the mid seventies that still worked in 2014. It couldnt pick up anything unless you stuck a little gizmo on it to pick up digital broadcast stations. But it still worked. I put an ad for it in the community newsletter. Said it was "perfect to hook up Xbox games to", and offered it for free. But got no takers.

I had an intermediate TV (not cathode ray tube, but not a modern big flat screen) that had a built it tape player and DVD player that we got in the Nineties. Only started to break down in 2015, and finnally gave up the ghost a couple years later.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 9:02 pm

Current TVs should last at least 10 years with normal use, according to what I read. It's really a matter of how many hours they're on. A TV set built in 1982 could still last several more years, if it hadn't been used much between then and now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 9:43 pm

I'm guessing between 10 and 15 years. I wish I had an old TV set from the 60s. Those were cool.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 9:50 pm

I got my current TV over 10 years ago, around 2008. It maybe time for a new one, but my mom bought me this TV, I know nothing about buying a new TV. I bought a new bed over two years ago, I did a great job with the mattress, but not the headboard.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 10:05 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm guessing between 10 and 15 years. I wish I had an old TV set from the 60s. Those were cool.

You are 47, I’m older than you, I was born in 1970. Unless you had an very old TV set. I still have my table from 1966, that was the only thing from my childhood house. Oh yea, the grandfather clock is from my childhood house too, I almost forgot.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 10:21 pm

Old TVs were built to last, unlike modern ones. Except for the antennae, those things would break if you so much as breathed on them.

I miss the old days when we only had three channels but plenty of good shows. Now we've got plenty of channels but not even three good shows. I haven't watched TV in months. I only watch YouTube videos now.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 11:01 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Old TVs were built to last, unlike modern ones. Except for the antennae, those things would break if you so much as breathed on them.

I miss the old days when we only had three channels but plenty of good shows. Now we've got plenty of channels but not even three good shows. I haven't watched TV in months. I only watch YouTube videos now.

With cable, it was toooo many channels, I can get confused. When I got DVR, there were tooooo many tv shows that I saved, it was very overwhelming, I couldn’t keep up, I got rid of cable, I have a streaming device now, it’s GREAT. I watch old TV shows, I mostly watch old TV shows & old movies, I watch new shows too, but only 1-3. I’m the same with music, I only listen to artists from the 80s- early 2000s.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 12:11 am

In my family we have primarily been using them as a large monitor to display content from some other device via HDMI connection. IMO you can keep using the one you have until it dies, there is very little that is useful that's been introduced in recent years. And LED-backlit TVs seem to not last as long as the older mercury gas CCFL backlit screens, which is seemingly counterintuitive, the quality of the new sets is quite lacking.