Looking for things = motivation to clean up ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 12:37 pm

I love throwing things away. I don't get emotionally attached to things.

My daughter is the exact opposite so I just don't go anywhere near her room.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 1:15 pm

babybird wrote:
I love throwing things away. I don't get emotionally attached to things.

My daughter is the exact opposite so I just don't go anywhere near her room.

Yaya that’s the thing I need to get rid of the hoarder mentality of keeping things “because they’re still good and I might use it someday,” and just value clear clean organized space instead.

As for emotional attachment, I have one specific rubber maid tote in our garage that I keep sentimental items and gifts in. I don’t need tons and tons of them.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 1:27 pm

It's incredible the rate at which stuff does accumulate though.

I feel bad sometimes because I should give stuff like clothes and shoes to charity but instead I just throw it because I need to get rid of it fast.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 6:16 pm

It can be somewhat entertaining when you look for something, but end up finding something else that you were looking for previously (but had given up trying to find).

However, there are finds which aren't great. I threw out my old diaries because it was painful reading them. You know when a character is about to do something regretful and you can't stop it from happening? That's how I felt reading my old journals. :lol: :oops:

Admittedly, I'm really bad for abandoning my projects. I had various notes and doodles in random places hidden away. So recently I decided to collect these notes and put them in a box which I have fittingly labelled Idea box (yes I see the irony :P ). I threw out the ones that didn't make any sense. My plan is to gradually go through this box, scrapping concepts that aren't any good and developing the ones with potential. It's a bizarre collection I have here; there's ideas for designing video games, a diagram of a surrealist 3d Model with annotations on how I could potentially make it, furniture designs for some reason and various abandoned character designs.

Dear past me, please explain.
- Sincerely, current me. :lol:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 4:07 am

If I ever make a long distance move, everything I take with me will fit in the trunk and back seat of my car. What little furniture I own is easily replaceable, so I'll either take it to Goodwill or leave it next to the alley dumpster and someone will scoop it up fast.

About the only stuff I have that doesn't serve a function are some brass nautical items and a few other nicknack keepsakes.