Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 11:56 pm

One of my cars is a hybrid. I like not having gears and the instant torque. I don't see myself getting a full electric until charge times are close to time spent refueling an internal combustion car, and prices come down to the same level and self-serviceability becomes available.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 12:58 am

r00tb33r wrote:
One of my cars is a hybrid. I like not having gears and the instant torque. I don't see myself getting a full electric until charge times are close to time spent refueling an internal combustion car, and prices come down to the same level and self-serviceability becomes available.

The lack of gears is the one thing that turns me off electric vehicles. I like changing gear manually.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 1:52 am

DuckHairback wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

The lack of gears is the one thing that turns me off electric vehicles. I like changing gear manually.

You do realize an electric motor has enough RPM range to not need gears? It's not an automatic transmission, it's single gear drive. You spend no time in neutral, it just pulls the entire way.
Ever since I started driving a car like that I felt gears are obsolete. Don't get me wrong, I like sports cars, but electric drive is a whole another level of fast.
After experiencing that a manual is a tough sell.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 9:29 am

r00tb33r wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

You do realize an electric motor has enough RPM range to not need gears? It's not an automatic transmission, it's single gear drive. You spend no time in neutral, it just pulls the entire way.
Ever since I started driving a car like that I felt gears are obsolete. Don't get me wrong, I like sports cars, but electric drive is a whole another level of fast.

Yes I understand that gear changes are not necessary with an electric motor.

What I mean is that I enjoy the changing gear part of driving. Perhaps that sounds strange? I like that it makes driving a bit more involved and that you can do it well, or badly. I take pleasure in changing gear smoothly. So I'll miss that when its gone.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 9:41 am

DuckHairback wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Yes I understand that gear changes are not necessary with an electric motor.

What I mean is that I enjoy the changing gear part of driving. Perhaps that sounds strange? I like that it makes driving a bit more involved and that you can do it well, or badly. I take pleasure in changing gear smoothly. So I'll miss that when its gone.

I feel the same about them too. I tried an electric car before and it was cool, somewhat like an on/off button with the accelerator but it felt weird not having gears.

I also slammed down really hard on the break thinking it was a clutch when at roundabouts and lights. Probably easy to get used to though.