Dozens massacred in Thailand childcare facility

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 9:06 am

37 dead, mostly preschoolers, in Thai day care rampage

Quote:
A former policeman burst into a day care center in northeastern Thailand on Thursday, killing dozens of children and teachers and then firing on more people as he fled in the deadliest rampage in the nation’s history.

The assailant, who authorities said was fired from the force earlier this year because of a drug offense, took his own life after killing his own wife and child at home.

A witness said staff at the day care locked the door when they saw the assailant approaching with a gun, but he shot his way in. In footage posted online after the attack, frantic family members could be heard weeping outside the day care, and one image showed the floor of one room smeared with blood and sleeping mats scattered about. Pictures of the alphabet and other colorful decorations adorned the walls.

At least 37 people were killed in the attack, according to police spokesman Archayon Kraithong. Another 12 people were wounded. At least 24 of the dead were children, mostly preschoolers.

Police identified the suspect as 34-year-old former police officer Panya Kamrap. Police Maj. Gen. Paisal Luesomboon told PPTV in an interview that he was fired from the force earlier this year because of drug-related offenses.

In the attack he used multiple weapons, including a handgun, a shotgun and a knife, Paisel said.

Local police chief Damrongsak Kittiprapha told reporters that the suspect was a sergeant on the force before he was fired, and that the main weapon he used was a 9mm pistol that he had purchased himself.

Firearm-related deaths in Thailand are much lower than in countries like the United States and Brazil, but higher than in countries like Japan and Singapore that have strict gun control laws.

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who was to travel to the town on Friday, told reporters that initial reports were that the former officer was having personal problems.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 2:43 pm

Jesus. I can't help but wonder if some of these guys get the idea to do something like this from US media coverage, I'm convinced that these types of spree killings are like deadly social media fads, and wouldn't be surprised if the "virus" was spreading beyond the US via the news coverage.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 3:50 pm

Personal problems?!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 8:05 pm

Lock him up and throw away the key.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 8:46 pm

He went "postal" as they used to say in the US back in the 80s when a rash of disgruntal postal workers went on shooting sprees.

Most countries have disgruntled postal, and Walmart, and Joe's Diner, employees who get fired. But most folks in most countries lack access to guns that Americans do. But this guy in Thailand was disgruntled cop. So he did have guns.

Why he singled out little kids as victims I dont know.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 8:59 pm

Humans are more violent, hateful and murderous than ever. And don't bother telling me about all the killing and violence that happened in history hundreds of years ago, because nothing has changed since the days when patients were bled out in order to rebalance their humors.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:40 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Lock him up and throw away the key.

He blew his own brains out

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:53 pm

cyberdad wrote: