Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 11:46 am

Fake meat sales are now plunging because of high prices and being too 'woke' for consumers ⁠— here's the 1 timeless takeaway for investors

The part I never understood is why people who don't want to eat meat try to make their non-meat look like meat. Does this kind of deception even work? And who are they trying to deceive, themselves or people around them?

If you wanna eat broccoli, just eat broccoli.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 12:00 pm

I guess it's supposed to be for those who gave up meat for ethical reasons, or health reasons, but still want to enjoy eating something similar to a hamburger.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 12:27 pm

/\Yes.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 12:39 pm

I like vegan sausages because they don't have horrible fatty bits that get stuck in your teeth.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 2:41 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I guess it's supposed to be for those who gave up meat for ethical reasons, or health reasons, but still want to enjoy eating something similar to a hamburger.

That, and for appealing to the meat eater who's curious, or to try and duplicate a dish that normally involves meat. I made my own seitan when I had my restaurant to make a sort of vegan "chicken" strip to do a vegan version of my wildly popular Nashville style hot chicken sandwich, it sold well and was surprisingly close once you got the seasoning on it and were eating it in the sandwich. Vegans are actually great customers in some ways, they tend to have money, they travel in packs, and if they like your food they'll not only tell their friends but post on vegan websites to rave about your food, so I ended up making a lot of specials for them at my place, which is really ironic considering that my specialty as a chef is butchery and charcuterie and that the big draw at my shop was that I made all my meats in house.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 3:14 pm

Wut? I don't think it's about deception At All.

It's about substitution, especially with beef - which is incredibly food/water/energy intense to produce per unit of protein and nutrients. People have known this for many moons, which is why the Queen's guards are known as 'Beefeaters,' because they were some of the only people in the entire British Empire that did a job valuable enough to be able to afford to eat beef.

In modern times, we've factory farmed the shize out of beef and people have become accustomed to the taste, look, smell, form factors etc.

So, if someone can make a veggie/grain/fungi based substitute for a hamburger patty that's a whole lot more sustainable to produce that people actually like eating as a substitute for beef burgers then why criticize them for it ?? :?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 5:51 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Vegans are actually great customers in some ways, they tend to have money, they travel in packs, and if they like your food they'll not only tell their friends but post on vegan websites to rave about your food, so I ended up making a lot of specials for them at my place

Oh, I believe. I heard someone joke recently that they never shut up about it. You don't ever have to worry about their eating preferences because you'll know long before that concern comes up.

Veganism is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. I mean sh*t, I've got a pair of common brand sneakers, but the color scheme I have is called "Vegan". There is nothing vegan about these shoes.

BTW, nice to learn about your culinary abilities.