Why many women dislike socially awkward men

Page 9 of 15 [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2022, 6:52 pm

magz wrote:
Like what? A priest telling them it's a sin? Parents suddenly entering bedroom? A friend driving a drunk girl home?

I prefer the plushie :heart:

The context where I hear it used the most often:

Woman A's female friend will talk smack about a certain guy who's interested in woman A. As a result, Woman A refuses to entertain the guy (even if she initially would have been willing to)

Woman A's friend essentially cock blocks the guy.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2022, 6:54 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Nobody EVER thought I was sleazy :)

They just thought I was a little overbearing in me showing interest in them.

A lot of single women notoriously run rings around socially awkward men. If they don't measure up (which is most men) then there's literally a thousand ways to cock block a man.

Less desirable men are considered "sleazy" when they say "hello". Attractive well paid alpha types are "players" when they make a move.

How dare these women stop men they're not into from having sex with them!! ! !

What a sick world we are in.

Edit: I've been accused of cock blocking myself.....I definitely wasn't interested in having sex with the person that said this.

It's not the simple fact we get turned down that angers us.

Here's what angers us: The fact we're seen as sleazy for doing the same exact thing that would be seen as sexy if a smooth guy did it.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2022, 6:57 pm

Nades wrote:
magz wrote:
I'm confused again: is refusing to have sex with someone cock blocking or not?
Is believing in "premarital purity" cock blocking?
Is encouraging a friend that it's okay to say "no" cock blocking?
Is rescuing someone from an attempted rape cock blocking?

Generally cock blocking is done by a third party who is separate from the woman the guy is trying get in bed.

The woman herself isn't cock blocking by saying no and obviously stopping a rape isn't cock blocking too.

I consider it bad manners for someone else to just shoehorn themselves into such situations with the intention of "rejecting" a man on a woman's behalf. It shows complete disregard to that womans intentions.

In all fairness, guys can reverse cock-block.

If a guy is into a certain woman, a male friend of the guy might try to convince him she's ugly (or otherwise not worth it)

In which case, same concept (only in reverse): Shows complete disregard for the man's intentions. And robs the woman of a potential opportunity.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2022, 9:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Maybe I missed it but how are you all defining "socially awkward"?

What types of things would the man do awkwardly?

(Is it the same as being rude, or just ... awkward?)

It's difficult to put the definition of social awkwardness into words.

Here's a list of socially awkward examples from TV/movies:

Chris from Family Guy, Steve Smith from American Dad, Steve Carrell's character on the 40 Year Old Virgin, Spence from the King of Queens, Bobby (and possibly Bill) from King of the Hill

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 6:18 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
magz wrote:
Like what? A priest telling them it's a sin? Parents suddenly entering bedroom? A friend driving a drunk girl home?

Woman A's female friend will talk smack about a certain guy who's interested in woman A. As a result, Woman A refuses to entertain the guy (even if she initially would have been willing to)

This happened to me. I was in college but had just turned 24 (2nd degree) and this cute but slightly chubby 18 year old who had a somewhat sheltered upbringing saw me at a party and immediately took a shine to me. I mean she was coming by the house I lived in to bring me little gifts. I really liked her (she and my now wife had quite a few things in common) and it seemed at first a relationship was developing but then some "trusted older female friend" explained to her that I was basically a predator and soon she wouldn't even talk to me.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 6:56 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
Nades wrote:
magz wrote:

Generally cock blocking is done by a third party who is separate from the woman the guy is trying get in bed.

The woman herself isn't cock blocking by saying no and obviously stopping a rape isn't cock blocking too.

I consider it bad manners for someone else to just shoehorn themselves into such situations with the intention of "rejecting" a man on a woman's behalf. It shows complete disregard to that womans intentions.

If a guy is into a certain woman, a male friend of the guy might try to convince him she's ugly (or otherwise not worth it)

In which case, same concept (only in reverse): Shows complete disregard for the man's intentions. And robs the woman of a potential opportunity.

Well if he's already in a relationship with her but his friend pressures him to dump her, it's not exactly cock-blocking but if he stands a poor chance to quickly find another woman then he is being pressured into giving up a reliable sex partner for a return to possibly years of making do with masturbation. This also sort of happened to me. I was in a relationship for a couple of years with someone who impressed most people as unquestionably "weird" and I guess they found the situation embarrassing. My best friend at the time, who BTW was himself gay, kept pressuring me to dump her. I didn't but this pressure probably contributed to my not committing more fully to the relationship. Although TBH it was probably my parents' opinion that weighed more heavily. My subsequent life wasn't entirely celibate but there were a number of failed short term relationships that made me nostalgic for that ex-girlfriend.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2022, 2:05 pm

MaxE wrote:
SkinnyElephant wrote:
magz wrote:

This happened to me. I was in college but had just turned 24 (2nd degree) and this cute but slightly chubby 18 year old who had a somewhat sheltered upbringing saw me at a party and immediately took a shine to me. I mean she was coming by the house I lived in to bring me little gifts. I really liked her (she and my now wife had quite a few things in common) and it seemed at first a relationship was developing but then some "trusted older female friend" explained to her that I was basically a predator and soon she wouldn't even talk to me.

Amazing. 24 and 18 doesn't make you a predator.

I get the impression certain girls from my school days might have been interested in me BUT knew their friends would never accept me.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2022, 2:10 pm

MaxE wrote:
SkinnyElephant wrote:
Nades wrote:
magz wrote:

Well if he's already in a relationship with her but his friend pressures him to dump her, it's not exactly cock-blocking but if he stands a poor chance to quickly find another woman then he is being pressured into giving up a reliable sex partner for a return to possibly years of making do with masturbation. This also sort of happened to me. I was in a relationship for a couple of years with someone who impressed most people as unquestionably "weird" and I guess they found the situation embarrassing. My best friend at the time, who BTW was himself gay, kept pressuring me to dump her. I didn't but this pressure probably contributed to my not committing more fully to the relationship. Although TBH it was probably my parents' opinion that weighed more heavily. My subsequent life wasn't entirely celibate but there were a number of failed short term relationships that made me nostalgic for that ex-girlfriend.

When people (whether they be friends, family, etc) try to convince a guy to dump (or not pursue) a woman, it could result in the guy being sexless if he listens.

It also results in, for lack of a better term, cooch-blocking. Because the woman ends up missing out on sex too (if the guy listens to friends/family)

I have had family members try to sabotage relationships of mine just because THEY disliked the woman.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 9:18 pm

SkinnyElephant wrote:
magz wrote:
My "creepy" radar beeps at desperate men.
Socially awkward ones who have otherwise interesting lives (plenty of them in the Faculty of Physics) are fine.

A lot of socially awkward men become desperate due to the fact it's harder for us to succeed in the dating/sex game (compared to socially gifted men)

^^ THIS. This is absolutely 100% true. When you are disadvantaged by not having "NT privilege" where it's sexy to be secure in your own skin (and Aspies are punished for being themselves), then you naturally emit more desperate vibes that come out in your non-verbal - and I don't think it's just an Aspie thing, but if a man had some other significant disadvantage, he's probably going to manifest some signs of desperation. I think the Aspie disadvantage is, even if you don't feel all that desperate, women will conflate your "odd" presentation with desperation (e.g. improper facial expression, taking a joke literally, putting your foot in your mouth), as they see it as nervousness and that could only mean one thing. 8O

I had to go through at least 20 dates before I realized that I had options, and then I became more nonchalant. It was a combo of rehearsal, reflection, and masking whereby my "new self" was more indoctrinated to attract women. Which worked for me but I always knew that I could have been more dating-effective and efficient had I been NT from the get-go :(

RiverLad
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Dec 2022, 11:02 am

Most Neurotypicals dislike socially awkward people full stop. The solution is to find friends & a partner who is neurodiverse & understands :heart:

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 11:50 am

RiverLad wrote:
Most Neurotypicals dislike socially awkward people full stop. The solution is to find friends & a partner who is neurodiverse & understands :heart:

I wholeheartedly agree, but that is a lot easier said than done (especially if you’re straight!) due to the lack of neurodiverse community infrastructure.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 12:03 pm

Zakatar wrote:
RiverLad wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree, but that is a lot easier said than done (especially if you’re straight!) due to the lack of neurodiverse community infrastructure.

Yes there's a stigma attached to social awkwardness; neurotypicals think that anyone should be able to navigate everyday social situations with ease. A possible exception is if you as a guy are in the presence of a buxom curvy gorgeous woman which even some NT men get a bit of anxiety over.

The trouble is that since us ASD men don't have "NT privilege", we have/had to deal with all the young lady's friends judging us and they can and do "vote us out" of being potential boyfriend material. But NT men can pass this friend scrutiny with relative ease.

Fortunately, I've been married for some time now and this hasn't been an issue, but I can remember when it was. I didn't have a label or diagnosis for the condition, but it was stigmatized all the same. IMO it's still stigmatized and not likely to earn any clemency; I expect the burden to mask and adapt to the "NT dating world" will remain 99% on Aspies.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 12:42 pm

SkinnyElephant wrote:
Here's a list of socially awkward examples from TV/movies:
Bobby (and possibly Bill) from King of the Hill

Bobby Hill is one of the most self-assured young men in any TV shows, ever.

Bill is an awko-taco however.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 9:23 pm

I prefer socially awkward men. :heart:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 10:32 pm

I'm pretty sure I have a weird mix of being self-assured (like Bobby Hill) and awkward, especially depending if I'm higher or lower.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 6:37 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have a weird mix of being self-assured (like Bobby Hill) and awkward, especially depending if I'm higher or lower.

Do you have bipolar?

I’m only self-assured if I’m talking to specific family members about specific topics or if I’m talking to people online. It’s more about extreme shyness than anything else with me, I think.