Page 8 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 11:17 am

It makes me think that all these people who have vast amounts of money, millions of fans, luxury in every aspect of their lives, aren't actually happy. If they were, they wouldn't be spouting hate everywhere. They'd be happy and living fun lives.

Maybe...money isn't the be-all and end-all of life? Shocking, I know.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 12:15 pm

KitLily wrote:
It makes me think that all these people who have vast amounts of money, millions of fans, luxury in every aspect of their lives, aren't actually happy. If they were, they wouldn't be spouting hate everywhere. They'd be happy and living fun lives.

It is not just the money, it is all the adulation and everything being done for you that separates your mind from reality. You have to be unusually grounded not to be negatively affected.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 12:18 pm

KitLily wrote:

Good point. But i also often wonder why these celebrities get showered with more money and praise than the actual heroes and inspirational people in our society?

A lot of rich and famous celebrities in Hollywood are terrible people that get praised by rabid fans who think they can do no wrong. Just look at Donald Trump. :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 12:19 pm

That.

And other things. If you or I became as nutty as Howard Hughes got in his last dayswe common working stiffs would be carted off to the looney bin. But he could afford to fend that off and go crazy in seclusion being a victim of his own wealth. Not sure of Kanye is as crazy as Howard Hughes. But its not for "lack of trying". Lol!

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 12:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
That.

And other things. If you or I became as nutty as Howard Hughes got in his last dayswe common working stiffs would be carted off to the looney bin. But he could afford to fend that off and go crazy in seclusion being a victim of his own wealth. Not sure of Kanye is as crazy as Howard Hughes. But its not for "lack of trying". Lol!

Lol indeed! :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 3:48 pm

KitLily wrote:
It makes me think that all these people who have vast amounts of money, millions of fans, luxury in every aspect of their lives, aren't actually happy.

It's all relative. The ultra-rich probably have periods of unhappiness over silly things like the servants not chilling their roset to the exact temperature they wanted or their fact their lear jet might be needing servicing so they can't fly to their swiss resort for their weekly spa session.

If you are middle class then its unhappiness over your wifi not working or your coffee machine needs servicing

If you are the working poor it might be that one of your three part-time casual jobs scraping posters of walls in the city fell through and you have 1 week to find another job to avoid being thrown out of home by your landlord.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 3:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
That.

Howard Hughes or Hugh Hefner were eccentric.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 10:24 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
KitLily wrote:

It is not just the money, it is all the adulation and everything being done for you that separates your mind from reality. You have to be unusually grounded not to be negatively affected.

Yes, it's more about craving adulation and then being unhappy because they can't get enough, I suppose?

Maybe there are lots of really rich people who are super happy and don't spout hate, somewhere.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 10:26 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Good point. But i also often wonder why these celebrities get showered with more money and praise than the actual heroes and inspirational people in our society?

A lot of rich and famous celebrities in Hollywood are terrible people that get praised by rabid fans who think they can do no wrong. Just look at Donald Trump. :lol:

I totally agree! Why don't we praise the true heroes and inspirational people? These days they are more likely to be labelled Woke, PC or Do Gooders and ridiculed! :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 10:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
It makes me think that all these people who have vast amounts of money, millions of fans, luxury in every aspect of their lives, aren't actually happy.

It's all relative. The ultra-rich probably have periods of unhappiness over silly things like the servants not chilling their roset to the exact temperature they wanted or their fact their lear jet might be needing servicing so they can't fly to their swiss resort for their weekly spa session.

If you are middle class then its unhappiness over your wifi not working or your coffee machine needs servicing

If you are the working poor it might be that one of your three part-time casual jobs scraping posters of walls in the city fell through and you have 1 week to find another job to avoid being thrown out of home by your landlord.

So all this 'get as much money as you possibly can' attitude is nonsense. No one is ever going to be happy so why bother chasing money.

They say 'finding meaning in your life' is the way to be happy. So we should all be searching for meaning and ignore the people telling us to get as much money as we can. Well, most of us do that anyway don't we.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 11:01 am

KitLily wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I totally agree! Why don't we praise the true heroes and inspirational people? These days they are more likely to be labelled Woke, PC or Do Gooders and ridiculed! :roll:

Well I think there's also the issue of celebrities pretending to care about social issues and telling people how to properly live their lives while behaving immoral themselves. That's the reason why I'm so cynical about celebrity types.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 6:07 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Well I think there's also the issue of celebrities pretending to care about social issues and telling people how to properly live their lives while behaving immoral themselves. That's the reason why I'm so cynical about celebrity types.

Me too. I learned a while ago that if a person's goal in life is 'to be as famous and adored as possible', logically by definition their goal cannot be 'to care about social issues and people's welfare'. So I don't take much notice of celebrities.

I got to know a very, very minor celebrity once. He was the most self-centred, narcissistic jerk I have ever met!!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 6:17 am

KitLily wrote:
I got to know a very, very minor celebrity once. He was the most self-centred, narcissistic jerk I have ever met!!

You aren't talking about Gilderoy Lockhart?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 1:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

You aren't talking about Gilderoy Lockhart?

I don't know who that is. My one was a racing driver. I'm not sure what happened to him, I think he might have died in a crash because he suddenly disappeared. But he was a class A narcissist, I've never met anyone so self-centred. He sent me a dick pic once, but I gave him a right telling off about that and he did apologise.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 1:54 pm

I wonder why narcissistic types seem so drawn to showbusiness? I guess it feeds their egos?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 4:53 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I wonder why narcissistic types seem so drawn to showbusiness? I guess it feeds their egos?

And politics