Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:02 pm

QFT wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
It's more aligned with ADHD, GDD

What does GDD stand for?

Global developmental delay.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:11 pm

QFT wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
It affects the sensory-nervous system so no it's nothing to do with learning.
You can't unlearn sensory processing disorders.

I don't have sensory issues in my case.

And from what I read there are others who also don't have them. Which is why they are not part of diagnostic criteria but rather a side symptoms.

In fact I read that people with classical autism have sensory issues more often than people with Asperger. So the fact that I don't have them, is consistent with Asperger diagnosis.

Sensory is definitely in the DSM5 for Autism.
Perhaps it wasn't in the Aspergers criteria if you were diagnosed prior to DSM5 ?

I'd argue that there's more sensory in the DSM5 than social.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
QFT wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
It affects the sensory-nervous system so no it's nothing to do with learning.
You can't unlearn sensory processing disorders.

I don't have sensory issues in my case.

And from what I read there are others who also don't have them. Which is why they are not part of diagnostic criteria but rather a side symptoms.

In fact I read that people with classical autism have sensory issues more often than people with Asperger. So the fact that I don't have them, is consistent with Asperger diagnosis.

Sensory is definitely in the DSM5 for Autism.
Perhaps it wasn't in the Aspergers criteria if you were diagnosed prior to DSM5 ?

I'd argue that there's more sensory in the DSM5 than social.

I was diagnosed under DSM 4, which is Asperger.

As far as DSM 5, I heard that majority of people with Asperger on DSM 4, don't meet DSM 5 criteria for ASD.

But DSM 5 has social communication disorder. So if I don't meet criteria for Autism 1, I would meet the one for SCD.

All of it is just speculation. The only diagnosis I actually have is DSM 4 one, which is Asperger.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:15 pm

Thanks for the info.

I've never seen the DSM4.

I think my brother would be called "Aspergers" because he's very chatty.

He does have SPD though.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
He does have SPD though.

What does SPD stand for?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:20 pm

QFT wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
He does have SPD though.

What does SPD stand for?

Sensory Processing Disorder

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've never seen the DSM4.

I am the opposite: I looked through DSM 4 a lot, but I haven't really seen DSM 5 much. Because back at the time of DSM 4, this was my special interest. But, by the time DSM 5 was out, I moved to other things. I did take brief look at DSM 5 (for example, I found the Social Communication Disorder that doesn't exist in DSM 4). But its structure is quiet different and I didn't have that much time to get used to it, so I wasn't looking at it much. I tend to like DSM 4 better overall, and yes I think it was a mistake they removed Asperger label.

In any case, here is the DSM 4 criteria: http://www.aspergeradults.ca/AspergerDi ... raction%3B

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:36 pm

Interesting. Thanks a lot. I've always wanted to look up what "Aspergers" meant.

What does it say in DSM4 for people with Autism?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 8:33 pm

I feel that I do have a learning disability and I was diagnosed with level 1 autism at the age of 5 and a half. It takes me longer to learn socially. It takes me longer to learn how to do a job because I can't get myself to do things as quickly as an employer might like me to at first. I also have a tendency to daydream at times. I think I'm mid to high functioning, so that could make a difference. I can only cook simple meals as well, so in my case I would call it a learning disability. I also haven't learned to deal with my emotions in a proper way. I feel that I have the emotional maturity of a 9 year old. When I find something sad or I have a meltdown, I cry.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 7:54 am

QFT wrote:

I was diagnosed under DSM 4, which is Asperger.

As far as DSM 5, I heard that majority of people with Asperger on DSM 4, don't meet DSM 5 criteria for ASD.

But DSM 5 has social communication disorder. So if I don't meet criteria for Autism 1, I would meet the one for SCD.

All of it is just speculation. The only diagnosis I actually have is DSM 4 one, which is Asperger.

You heard?

I was diagnosed under the DSM 5 with autism spectrum disorder, and so I say that I am austistic. I am certain I would have diagnosed with Asperger's had I sought diagnosis earlier in life, but I was not.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 6:01 pm

I thought Aspergers & Autism are the same things.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 9:08 am

Kitty4670 wrote:

It is.

I was just responding to the ridiculous statement that most people who were diagnosed with Asperger's (an autism spectrum disorder, i.e. if you are Asperger's you are autistic) under DSM 4 would not be diagnosed as autistic under DSM 5.

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2022, 11:05 am

Autism and learning disability are by no means the same. Although autistic people can have a learning disability on top of their autism, which I think is why people confuse the two as being the same. Having a learning difficulty means that an individual has difficulty in a specific area while not necessarily having the triad of impairments associated with ASD.

I get sick of this constant misguided view that they are the same. In the UK in my city, the local authority seem to have gone backward in not even recognising autism in applying for a mobility pass. They only reocgnise people with learning disabilities as well as physical disabilities.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 3:18 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

They aren't. Asperger is a subset of autism. So there are people under autism umbrella that are clearly not aspies. Profoundly non-verbal autistics is the most obvious example. But then high functioning autistics can also be disqualified from Asperger by having things like speech delays and so forth.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 3:20 pm

rse92 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

It is.

I was just responding to the ridiculous statement that most people who were diagnosed with Asperger's (an autism spectrum disorder, i.e. if you are Asperger's you are autistic) under DSM 4 would not be diagnosed as autistic under DSM 5.

That is something that I read, I didn't make it up myself. They actually did stats, and they said something like two thirds of them won't be diagnosed. That was their argument against the DSM 5 criteria.

They haven't mentioned the idea of diagnosing those aspies with Social Communication Disorder. That idea was my own. But no, I didn't invent that disorder myself: it is right there in DSM 5 if you look it up. It just never occurred to people to use it as a way to use it for aspies.