Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 2:54 pm

Are people really this stupid? Or do they know it's BS and just another effort to deter voting?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/2000-mul ... f89f4e8934

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 10:25 pm

From what I've seen, enough people find the video evidence to be very compelling to have significant political impact. They aren't following up to become aware that voting officials did follow up on the allegations made by the producers and found there were no crimes, that it wasn't what it looked like.

I remind people it's a film, not a news report. Video, editing and voice over will have all been designed to tell a chosen story, with no requirement to stick to the facts at all, and no requirement to share the results of subsequent investigations into the allegations. I point out that the charges HAVE been investigated. I suggest they follow up by going to a fact checking site and find out what investigations into the allegations have revealed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 11:30 am

Can’t be very bright people if they found the movie to be compelling evidence given the glaring holes in it pointed out in this article.

Probably a big overlap in people who shared the plandemic “documentary,” online during peak Covid.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 9:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Can’t be very bright people if they found the movie to be compelling evidence given the glaring holes in it pointed out in this article.

Probably a big overlap in people who shared the plandemic “documentary,” online during peak Covid.

That is not a fair assessment. It is quite easy to get sucked into the logic of a carefully crafted documentary. You have to force yourself to step back and see it piece by piece and very critically. If you already believed the intended conclusion, you aren't likely to do that.

Masters of propaganda know exactly what they are doing, and anyone can get sucked in. You and I can't assume we're never sucked in by different efforts with a different political bent and logic; we're not immune. Best to remember that.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 10:13 pm

How is it not a fair assessment? :? Did you read the article? How can anyone come to a different conclusion?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 12:47 am

goldfish21 wrote:
How is it not a fair assessment? :? Did you read the article? How can anyone come to a different conclusion?

People who only saw the movie, or saw the movie and heard it enforced by their biased news sources. If people hear a claim from multiple sources they rely on, they will assume its true.

Most people don't follow up by fact checking. If they do, they might favor one of the sites that say they are fact checking but are blatantly lying.

I encourage people to fact check before cementing a belief, even if they've heard the claim repeated by their favored news sources and commentators.

We're in an information war, with different bubbles seeing and hearing completely different things. None of us can say what we would believe if we lived in a different bubble, and being judgemental does not mitigate the problem.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 12:51 am

Disagree.

I can't imagine being in any sort of bubble where I'd believe something to so blatantly & obviously stupid.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 3:11 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Disagree.

I can't imagine being in any sort of bubble where I'd believe something to so blatantly & obviously stupid.

Are you absolutely sure that you and I don't believe something that could turn out to be blatantly and obviously stupid?

I mean, I do my best, but is it foolproof? No.

And my proof standards seem to be higher than yours.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 10:59 am

Something like this? Yes, I'm sure. It's not even remotely plausible and doesn't come from a remotely credible source.

To believe something like this.. I may as well go downtown and listen to a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics in order to form opinions on whatever political thing of the day is going on. It's that obviously ridiculous.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 4:43 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Disagree.

Such as EVERYONE in Canada having easy access to free health services? :lol:

In all seriousness, EVERYONE is a victim of being scammed or mislead in one sense or another. I assume your post here was meant as humor?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2022, 4:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Disagree.

Didn’t you say that you cured autism by eating chicken soup?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 5:28 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Disagree.

Didn’t you say that you cured autism by eating chicken soup?

Nope, never said that. But I did detail what has been a very effective treatment protocol. And I’ve reiterated that countless times on here.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 9:49 pm

I think many people are choosing to be stupid for the sake of believing Trump was robbed.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 10:33 pm

The point, goldfish, is that you really haven't earned the right to be so overly judgemental, because no one can. It's hubris. Now realize that a ton of people on the other side feel exactly about you the way you feel about them and understand why society is in the pickle its in. Our side of the divide cannot afford this level of hubris. It is counterproductive and destructive, literally driving society closer and closer towards autocracy. A lot of people feel backed into a corner by "our" side, and are responding with anger. Speaking as you have in this thread appears indifferent to the experiences of others as well as suggesting an inability to be self-critical. Too many Democrats have been doing exactly that (while making grand mistakes left and right) and it pisses people off. We have to learn how to not do that if we want to accomplish our goals. All the facts in the world won't matter if they are being delivered by people everyone is pissed off at.

Good decisions cannot be accomplished without tension. They just can't be. So ignoring any side in the game pulls out an essential weight in the equation.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 10:38 pm

..facts and evidence disproving conspiracy theories is not hubris.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 11:19 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
..facts and evidence disproving conspiracy theories is not hubris.

Calling the people who fall for it idiots, however, is.