don't like either

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 6:09 pm

Kaxiellica wrote:
Metallica or Def leppard ?

Megadeth.

I do like all three though. Selectively, of course.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 8:18 pm

Marlene Dietrich

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 8:29 pm

I'm not even sure I'd compare these two. Completely different bands and genres.

It's almost like saying '2Pac or Sublime?' - given Metallica and Def Leppard fall under the umbrella of 'rock' and there's drums, bass, guitar, and vocals, but that's about it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 1:06 pm

Never knowingly heard anything by either of them, though I've heard of them both.

Judging by what I've just read about them, Def Leppard are from Sheffield, and so am I, so that's a plus for them. I always thought the name was a knockoff or parody of Led Zeppelin, but apparently it was originally Deaf Leopard but they changed the spelling to make it sound less punky. Personally I don't much like the vogue for deliberate improper spelling, though I quite like "Beatles" because at least it's kind of clever.

I don't know anything about Metallica.

Both are heavy metal bands. I'm ambivalent to the genre - I love a bit of it, especially liking fuzz guitars, fast solos, and a strong beat, but soon get bored after hearing a couple of tracks, and prefer something more eclectic. I was in a band that played "pop songs with heavy metal solos" (as the lead guitarist put it), and I was the one who was mostly responsible for the pop content.

Anyway, I'm voting for Def Leppard. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know, and I'm biased towards Sheffield musicians.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 1:18 pm

ToughDiamonds - sounds like you might have enough catching up to do a Youtube reactions channel (those are pretty big right now).

Def Leppard - They really sound like an 80's rock version of a band who was trying to take everything Led Zepplin did and make it theirs, just a bit more synth and hair band stuff. The first 'record', or really album I ever bought, in 3rd grade, was Hysteria - which I went back and listened to and to be fair Rocket still sounds pretty impressive from a writing / production standpoint. An interesting side note - their drummer lost an arm and continued on with the band regardless.

Metallica - one of the 'Big 4' of thrash metal. Their first four albums were my favorite, Sanitarium still really holds a place in my heart as one of my formative experiences growing up (was in 6th grade listening to Master of Puppets from the start, that came on, gave me five kinds of chills, and made me realize what was possible), by the time they hit the Black Album though they were almost on to the 'whiskey in a jar' 18 wheeler roll on type stuff which did a lot less for me.

Hair metal and thrash metal - rather different animals. I'm not sure that I could compare Warrant and Megadeth or Skid Row and Anthrax for similar reasons. There were some interesting bands in the late 80's that did play thrash but incorporated some hair metal like energy (Judas Priest's Painkiller had a bit of that) but none of the others mentioned really fit in that bucket.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 9:45 pm

I'm way behind the times, aren't I. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Def Leopard.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 12:31 am

Metallica

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 11:13 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
ToughDiamonds - sounds like you might have enough catching up to do a Youtube reactions channel (those are pretty big right now).

Def Leppard - They really sound like an 80's rock version of a band who was trying to take everything Led Zepplin did and make it theirs, just a bit more synth and hair band stuff. The first 'record', or really album I ever bought, in 3rd grade, was Hysteria - which I went back and listened to and to be fair Rocket still sounds pretty impressive from a writing / production standpoint. An interesting side note - their drummer lost an arm and continued on with the band regardless.

Good point that I have some catching up to do in the listening department. Here I am yacking away about two bands when I've never even heard them.

Interesting that my early suspicion that DL's name was a knockoff of Led Zeppelin is borne out by DL's music, in spite of the fable that the name was done like that to make it seem less punky.

Even more interesting that the drummer carried on drumming with only one arm. Normally I dismiss tales of inspirational heroes, but that one impresses me deeply. How in the world did he do it?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 11:38 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Even more interesting that the drummer carried on drumming with only one arm. Normally I dismiss tales of inspirational heroes, but that one impresses me deeply. How in the world did he do it?

He did pretty much what I thought he'd do, ie. extra peddles that he controlled with his left foot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HatF-AZWiHE

Another interesting story, less intense but still pretty ironic, Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath was quitting his factory fabricating job to go on tour, it was his last day, he got put on a particular kind of stamping equipment where there weren't good safeties on it, and the machine took off a couple of the fingertips on his left hand (he's a right-handed player). He had to completely relearn to play and there's some sense that the way he played, ie. what invented 'metal' as a genre, was related to his workarounds for missing fingertips.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Oct 2022, 7:08 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Kaxiellica wrote:
Metallica or Def leppard ?

Megadeth.

I do like all three though. Selectively, of course.
All 3 really rock

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition