Can't say I'd miss the internet that much if it disappeared

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MeltingCORE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2022, 9:15 am

I would miss my friends that I've made across the internet. I would miss the creative sites that make me happy (Tron-Sector, SCP Foundation, The Cloud Appreciation Society, Ultimate Rollercoaster, etc.) I would miss the forums I post on like here and DreamViews. I would miss sharing my artwork and music. I would miss last.fm and Discogs. I would miss Discord. I would miss being able to order rare manga and CDs.

I would not miss Twitter or TikTok. (Hence why I have no accounts there anymore. It was melting my brain. I personally believe those sites allow the worst in people to come out. And that's due to the way they're structured and the childish "popularity contests" everyone engages in. This allows people to become bolder with their true feelings and reveal their hatred. I hear of this scenario all the time: Someone "professional" was foolish on Twitter/TikTok and gets busted because they never deleted their nasty posts. People *will* dig when someone is acting up towards the public.)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 11:08 pm

The worst thing about the internet is mainstream social media. The most mediocre people get a lot of attention & if you plaster make up on as a woman, you'll cynically get endless likes, whilst a well thought out ruminative post gets close to zero, or zero attention.

It is depressing.

I came off all of social media a while ago aside from one platform where I remain for the sake of keeping in touch with people who would otherwise be difficult to contact.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 12:06 am

I'd miss YouTube and Amazon shopping sites.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 12:47 am

there is life BEFORE the internet, and life AFTER the internet [was established]. i am sure i might be able to go back to ordering stuff outta catalogues and getting on my hands and knees in record stores scattered over a hundred mile radius [to find my music which i obsessively collect] as well as have several tape decks always recording over-the-air radio programs from which i'd cull the material i wanted to keep on a copy tape. but i'd surely miss things like wrong planet. :(

PIERINA
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2022, 2:23 am

The internet is a double edge sword in my opinion. I was a teen in your 80s and I had to interact with people more which was a good thing. I had to my own grocery shopping and go out more. It sounds awful but I liked it at the time. Now I can stay home for weeks without a problem. Food delivery, text instead of talk, I love researching and learning new information so that’s what I really like about the internet and would miss the most if it went away but if I had a choice I’d take the 80s back and do without the internet and wouldn’t miss what I didn’t ever get used to. For some people who were less social than I am the 89s might’ve been terrible for them. I a person is shy or feels awkward it’s definitely much easier to communicate on the internet than in person so the internet is the best thing that ever happened for some people and I wouldn’t want them to be without the internet though

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 3:07 am

Using the internet to type this is like driving a car to work and deciding you wouldn't miss your car if you had to walk 30km

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 10:37 am

I'd get a lot more crafts done if the Internet disappeared.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 6:07 am

i'd be living in a neat and clean house if there were no such thing as the internet.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Nov 2022, 1:17 pm

If it were not for the internet, I would be single & never had any romantic relationship. I met the 3 girlfriends I've had(my two exes & then my current) on online forums. I would know next to nothing about autism & some other issues I have & I would hate myself for not being able to measure up no mater how hard I tried. My music collection & music knowledge would be limed to only what gets played on commercial FM stations which would be Top 40 Pop, Soft Rock, Classic Rock, & Country; no Punk, no Comedy, limited Glam Rock, limited Ska, no Celtic. I'd be extremely bored, depressed & very likely woulda offed myself when I was 20 or done something extremely stupid that got me & others killed. I was at that point when I met my 1st girlfriend online. We had various things in common & quickly became best friends. She unknowingly saved my life in a way.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 7:24 pm

The Internet of ten to fifteen years-ago seems most optimum - much less of the present day "crazy dynamics" - Complicated TECH, the use of smart phones, gimmicks, social media.

Internet and so much of technolgy have changed humans over the past several years.

As a data-analyst, the older style desktop computer, and plain-old mobile telephone (dumb-phone) are just fine. I view the progress of Artificial Intelligence (AI) with much interest.