Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 7:11 am

firemonkey wrote:
I think a lot of people on WP, and elsewhere too, think I'm thick.

Do not think for a moment that you might be thick …, Your writing betrays a wide and knowledgeable
Discussion . Least that is what have discovered about you over time that I have been here . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2022, 9:29 am

I think the free mensa practice test that is Norwegian penalized my lack of some sensory processing abilities. It is the same abilities that make me a lousy basketball player. I have a hard time remembering things that are random. I can not remember words of songs. Things that are random do not necessarily get registered by me.

I think that Norwegian test penalized that. Now that I have seen explanations for those test questions I could possibly increase my score by quite a bit. Knowing one single fact about those test would have increased my score. I'm going to retake it out of curiousity.

If it is something that can be studied for, you have to ask how good of a test it is and wonder about it's limitations. The sensory processing abilities that I lack would probably both help me and hurt me in boxing. It makes me a mediocre baseball player. It would hurt my ability to be a quarterback in football.

Being truely honest, I have a hard time following a game and keeping score. I guess it could be something like ADD but I am better at most with sitting still and staying on task.

One thing I read that IQ test do not measure is self awareness. Self awareness is at the heart of being human. I think I might sacrifice some outer world awareness for self awareness if there was a choice. I am pretty sure a dog can track a ball better than me with more consistency on a day to day basis. I don't mean that as derogatory. It is just random thoughts on the subject.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:14 pm

firemonkey wrote:
If i wear shoes with laces I still do bunny knots. They come undone time and time again.

Don't feel bad! I am still learning better ways to tie my shoes too!
Someone in grad school taught me the one in the below video. It's called the hiker's knot I think. The guy in the video is right though, it never unties itself!

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:52 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I read Aspergers are very smart, is that just knowing stuff or remembering too?

There is no single Aspergers cookie cutter presentation, just as there is none for Autism

Some Aspies are smart others less so compared to NTs.

Those who use stereotypes with ASD will only be proved wrong.

- George Bernie Shaw

Faintinggoat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2022, 3:09 pm

I have a fairly high IQ (somwhere around 130) but I was a high-school drop out. I can't remember people that I have dealt with yesterday which makes my customer service job complicated

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 4:08 pm

firemonkey wrote:
If i wear shoes with laces I still do bunny knots. They come undone time and time again.

Might be good to try different types of laces. I got some recently that have a relatively rough surface so that they don't easily slip undone. Before that I used to make the knot very tight, but that was making the lace snap in two prematurely. You're not a bad worker, it's your materials that are to blame.

I don't believe in IQ so I don't know what my IQ is. I seem to be a fairly able thinker, and can talk (or better, write) "intelligently" about more or less any subject and to give "good" answers to many questions. My results seem pretty watertight, i.e. nobody seems able to find any flaws in them, though I can often find flaws in what other people say. I spend a lot of time pondering ideas and assertions. I'm sure I do this "overthinking" that according to the Received Wisdom is a bad thing, but apart from diminishing returns because of the oodles of time I put into it, I think (but don't know for sure) my results are more robust than average. I seem to be quite good, though not excellent, at deep, critical thinking, and I'm often surprised at how glib most other people are, but they get their thinking done quicker and my kind of meticulous thought probably isn't necessary for most things. I study things very carefully when I'm interested enough to bother at all.

My father used to say that I was rather slow to master new ideas but that when I got there, I understood it better than most people did. Certainly I find it painful to acquire new, complicated concepts, and sometimes I refuse to bother acquiring them because it just seems too damned hard and I can't see the point flogging my brain when the reward at the end isn't clear to me. Maybe that's why I don't have much respect for philosophy. I held down a science job for as long as I needed the money, and my thinking usually got good results and I don't think I ever had any complaints about slipshod work.

I wouldn't like to say whether I'm "intelligent" or not. I've probably just got a strong aptitude for some kinds of mental task. I yam what I yam.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 4:54 pm

Faintinggoat wrote:
I have a fairly high IQ (somwhere around 130) but I was a high-school drop out. I can't remember people that I have dealt with yesterday which makes my customer service job complicated

Welcome to Wrong Planet Faintinggoat ……. Your situation about instant connection to short term memory .
Is something I am familiar with very often.Or even people wanting recall on demand over a 24 hour period . But it seems my longer term memory seems pretty good . Often directly related to circumstances that are most impressionable to me . Not very surprising about dropping out of high school , when your IQ is high . Have known several people that have done that , some were actually in the gifted student programs .

where ever you go ,there you are

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 9:41 pm

I was at boarding school from the age of 8-18. There was next to zero chance of dropping out. I was a mediocre student. Definitely not an academic high flier. I like doing quizzes and tests from those Playbuzz quizzes to heavyweight tests. I eventually got into high range IQ tests at the start of 2020 via a FB group. I expected to be booted off due to being in the company of some seriously intelligent people. Most of them much younger than me. I still participate there. From there I was invited to a few other such groups.

I'm interested in chronometry as a measure of intelligence . Some see it as a cheaper and quicker measure of intelligence.I like having a go at SloBrain This is tonight's score.

It's one of my best scores. The older you get the slower your reactions are.

From the site:

Quote:
Correlation between the two SloBrain statistics

rmean reaction time × reaction time standard deviation = .74 (n = 36)

So, persons with shorter reaction times are significantly more consistent, have their reaction times closer together.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2022, 11:20 am

firemonkey wrote:
I was at boarding school from the age of 8-18. There was next to zero chance of dropping out. I was a mediocre student. Definitely not an academic high flier. I like doing quizzes and tests from those Playbuzz quizzes to heavyweight tests. I eventually got into high range IQ tests at the start of 2020 via a FB group. I expected to be booted off due to being in the company of some seriously intelligent people. Most of them much younger than me. I still participate there. From there I was invited to a few other such groups.

I'm interested in chronometry as a measure of intelligence . Some see it as a cheaper and quicker measure of intelligence.I like having a go at SloBrain This is tonight's score.

It's one of my best scores. The older you get the slower your reactions are.

From the site:
Quote:
Correlation between the two SloBrain statistics

rmean reaction time × reaction time standard deviation = .74 (n = 36)

So, persons with shorter reaction times are significantly more consistent, have their reaction times closer together.

That is so interesting, thank you. I took it twice. I think I got a good score the second time. The first time my phone rang and once I somehow anticipated one of the appearances. The second time I got a 21.79 and 267.8. My first score was definitely mediocre if I am interpreting it right.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 11:51 am

The lower the RTSD the better. My best. Younger people have faster reactions,generally speaking.

I average about 28.

A claim that the Victorians were smarter than us.
http://charltonteaching.blogspot.com/20 ... -were.html

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2022, 12:05 pm

firemonkey wrote:
The lower the RTSD the better. My best.

I average about 28.

I am probably going to have some fun with getting people to take this. I am probably being a fool by getting excited about one of these things finally saying I am a genius. I am not sure when old age starts. I have been middle aged for a while.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2022, 12:19 pm

I enjoyed perusing the article.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 1:38 pm

The Victorians might not have been "smarter" than us-----but the curricula taught in primary schools and secondary schools certainly was superior to what is being taught nowadays.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 3:36 pm

JimJohn wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
The lower the RTSD the better. My best.

I average about 28.

I am probably going to have some fun with getting people to take this. I am probably being a fool by getting excited about one of these things finally saying I am a genius. I am not sure when old age starts. I have been middle aged for a while.

Medically speaking I think old age starts at 65.I think I do OK for my age, cognitively speaking. Like a lot of people with schizophrenia though I worry a bit about the increased risk of dementia.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 5:04 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Medically speaking I think old age starts at 65.I think I do OK for my age, cognitively speaking. Like a lot of people with schizophrenia though I worry a bit about the increased risk of dementia.

In that case I'm living on borrowed time at 69. My brain doesn't let me down any more than it ever did. No schizophrenia here AFAIK, but I still worry that I might go senile. Still, I worry more about bodily old age than mental old age. I once read that dementia (specifically Alzheimers) can be delayed by "working out" - i.e. doing mental puzzles and other activities that tax the brain. No need for me to buy a puzzle book though, because I routinely hyperfocus and over-think every matter that comes to my attention, not particularly as a hedge against dementia, it's not a conscious decision, it's just a feature of my ASD. In fact I do it so much that I sometimes fear my brain will throw a rod.

Faintinggoat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2022, 7:16 am

I haven't found how to reply to a specific person, but thank you Jakki. I was actually in an extended learning (gifted) program. Once in kindergarten to jump ahead to grade 2, and once in high school. However wonderful the high school experience was, it felt like a group of nerds doing nerdy things 8O

All I wanted was to be "normal" and fit in :(