Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 10:52 am

r00tb33r wrote:
I'm getting ticked off here, what's with all the clocks? :?

Try not to get all wound up about it.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 11:07 am

Jakki wrote:
took me quite awhile to understand time on a digital clock, that did not have a analog watch face on it

An interesting video about the ways we perceive time via analog and digital clocks:

Darron

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 11:56 am

Possibly Analog faced clocks etc. Are a easier to get , representation of the actual progression of time .
Concerning people whom might be more visually attuned to see segments of time as they pass ? :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 12:08 pm

I'm very intelligent...in certain areas.

e.g. words, language, spelling, problem solving, philosophy, story writing.

But I can't really tie my shoelaces, I have no clue how anything mechanical works and I'm not very good with money.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 1:51 pm

I would estimate that I have above average intelligence. Whereas most NTs tend to reduce their interest after about 20, I tend to grow and grow and grow. So my topics of interest cover a wide range. And I become subject matter experts. My universe is very vast and my timeline goes before the BIG BANG and after the next BIG BAND and beyond.

I understand why I am different and why my brain structure is very different than NTs. It has to do with how the human brain works, the dominant brain on the left side of your skull and the support brain on the right side. And it has to do with the ability of the human brain to switch control from one side of its brain to the other when we experience death.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 3:22 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Basically my understanding is that the autism spectrum covers the entire IQ range, and within rhe spectrum the subset that is Aspergers is toward the upper end of it. That's the definition that I've seen.

“High Functioning” Autism was considered IQ above 70 or 80
Aspergers was considered High Functioning Autism with

“ There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.”

Now that for the most part Asperger’s is not an official diagnosis but a colloquial term Aspergers is considered a socially awkward person with high to genius intelligence.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 5:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Now that for the most part Asperger’s is not an official diagnosis but a colloquial term Aspergers is considered a socially awkward person with high to genius intelligence.

Is that just your interpretation ,or one that many people have?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 10:53 pm

firemonkey wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Is that just your interpretation ,or one that many people have?

It’s a stereotype

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 6:47 am

i'm nearly smart enough to be as smart as i need to be, but i'm not smart enough to be as smart as i'd really like to be. btw, am i the only one here who sees human faces in the faces of analog clocks? :nerdy:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 7:29 am

I could care less about aspergers and intelligence.

If a person is unreliable, it means whatever the cause of outcome is unreliable.
Doesn't matter whether it's the autism or being a fricking human.

What I care instead was the topic of autism and NOT mixing up/associating it with IQ scores -- both related to intellectual disability and intellectual giftedness.

The former ignores this rule because of 'severe autism', the latter ignores this for obvious reasons that I need not to point out about it.

Both are stereotypes in my eyes.

In my own case -- I really don't care.
Even as a child, I never fancied myself as a 'nerd' or an 'intellectual' -- but my abilities only made one aspect of school life easier and enjoyable.
The rest is a confusing mess that no one still understands.

I just want to be reliable.

If higher IQ means reliable memory, faster thinking and processing -- meaning more time for myself, more efficient roads to go to instead of than spending too much time working on it -- I'd take it.

If higher IQ means not a reliable communicator with others and do not have the EF to offset or biological protection against unmanageable dysregulation due to excitabilities.
Anyone with unmanageable dysregulation is a higher risk liability -- so then when waste a lot of time and effort due to said lack of management or no offset against dysregulations -- then what's the point?

My complaints are more to do with not having this 'secondary ability' that prevents downsides than intelligence.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Polpc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2022, 8:46 am

Well.. I vaguely remember getting 90 the first time I did an IQ test as a kid, but then it whooped to 135 and lately scoring down to 114 with the WAIS-IV test.

However, hyperfocus/hyperfixation/etc. can definitely explain why many of us can absorb large amounts of information with average or above-average IQ scores. Most Aspergers/High-functioning folks' IQ profiles are uneven, with either higher verbal and low perception scores or viceversa. There is not much evidence to support this apparently, and there goes the need for more empirical research, but most clinicians do use the WAIS-IV test to diagnose autism without intellectual deficit, either Aspergers or other types.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 12:38 pm

If you haven’t got your health ,then all the intelligence or high IQ in the world will not be of service to you. :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 12:20 am

There can be a point where being too intelligent can become a curse, rather than a blessing. Others can expect perfection from you all the time when it may be impossible for you to do so. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 2:24 am

GadgetGuru wrote:
Jakki wrote:
took me quite awhile to understand time on a digital clock, that did not have a analog watch face on it

An interesting video about the ways we perceive time via analog and digital clocks:

Darron

WOW!! Thanks for that video!!

That's EXACTLY the way I feel about time!

It's spatial and cyclical, rather than ordinal, numeric or linear.

I could have written every word of that video myself!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 3:03 am

I think a lot of people on WP, and elsewhere too, think I'm thick.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 3:21 am

firemonkey wrote:
I think a lot of people on WP, and elsewhere too, think I'm thick.

those people would be WRONG, and terribly unobservant.