Alberta Premier - Unvaxxed most discriminated against

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 9:24 am

On first day in office, Alberta Premier Danielle Smith calls unvaxxed people the ‘most discriminated against group’ she’s ever seen

Quote:
In the eyes of Alberta’s newly minted premier, Danielle Smith, unvaccinated people have faced an “extreme level” of inequity that is unparalleled and, she says, she plans to protect them under the province’s Human Rights Act.

“They have been the most discriminated against group that I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime,” Smith said Tuesday during her first media availability as premier of Alberta.

“I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a situation in my lifetime where a person was fired from their job, or not allowed to watch their kids play hockey, or are not allowed to go visit a loved one in long-term care or hospital, or not allowed to go get on a plane to either go across the country to see family or even travel across the border.”

One of her core campaign promises was to protect unvaccinated people under the Alberta Human Rights Act. On Tuesday, a reporter asked why Smith thought vaccine choice was on par with issues around race, sexuality or gender identity, and needed to be placed under the protection of the act.

“I don’t take away any of the discrimination that I’ve seen in those other groups that you mentioned,” said Smith.

“But this has been an extraordinary time in the last year in particular and I want people to know that I find that unacceptable, that we are not going to create a segregated society on the basis of a medical choice.”

Smith was a longtime radio show host in Alberta before entering a bid to become UCP leader and she often criticized Jason Kenney’s government for its public health measures. She waded into hot water at times, such as when she once promoted a study that suggested hydroxychloroquine could cure COVID-19 before deleting her social media post about it and apologizing for causing confusion.

Smith said Tuesday that COVID-19 has to now be treated more like influenza and that vaccination should be a choice that people make in conjunction with advice from their doctor. She’s promised that Alberta will never enter a lockdown under her leadership.

Kenney, who officially resigned as premier on Tuesday, was asked by Global News’ Mercedes Stephenson during an interview aired over the weekend if he thought a Smith-led UCP could win in the province’s general election in May.

Kenney responded that “a conservative party focused on the ordinary concerns of regular people” could.

However, “a conservative party or government that is focused on a campaign of recrimination over COVID, politicizing science, entertaining conspiracy theories, campaigning with QAnon, is a party that can’t form government and shouldn’t,” added Kenney.

On Tuesday, Smith announced that she’d be getting rid of Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, who helped lead the province through the worst months of the pandemic by advising Kenney and his cabinet.

One of Smith’s other campaign promises was to completely reform Alberta Health Services, the main health body in the province, after she said the pandemic revealed its systemic weaknesses. Smith said Tuesday that she could even get rid of health bureaucrats to do this because the restructuring will be sweeping and said that within 90 days she wants to have a new governance structure in place.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 9:56 am

Boo hoo.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 10:27 am

Am quite impressed that she is willing to take her position she has …..very brave and notwithstanding others opinions
I find my self agreeing with her in principal .

where ever you go ,there you are

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2022, 11:23 am

I think contagious disease carriers are even more "discriminated against".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 12:08 pm

But contagious disease sufferers are not required to carry around medical documents for proof of treatment .
There seems to be a touch of irony going on here . :nerdy:

where ever you go ,there you are

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2022, 12:16 pm

I had to provide a proof of being clean of several parasitic diseases to start my first regular job.
I'm pretty sure if I turned out infected, I would have to provide a proof of successful treatment.
It was 2010, if I remember correctly.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 12:45 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Boo hoo.

Alberta is the Texas of Canada, so this is no surprise.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!