Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

YancyyyComet9000
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Oct 2022, 12:13 pm

My dog passed away today. I know I should feel sad, logically thinking I know I would be and I am I guess. But I don't really feel it. Death has never really been something I fully understand I guess.
The thing that's hitting hardest is knowing how much this will change now. My dog has been a constant in my life for 14 years. And now she's gone things are different and I know so many things in the future will change. And I don't like it. But I feel like that's not what should be making me feel bad.
I don't really know what to think. Right now I guess I'm fine. Things feel just the same as this morning. I feel like my family seemed sad. We buried her and stood around her for a bit. But I didn't really feel anything from it. Whereas I know my siblings did. My parents have said if I feel sad I can come to them. But I don't feel sad about that. I just don't know how to deal with no longer having a dog around and I'm not going to tell them that.
All I can think about is how much I want another dog, just to have a dog around again. Which again feels wrong. I shouldn't be thinking that this soon should I. Does anyone understand? I haven't been diagnosed with autism. I don't know if I'm just being heartless

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 12:23 pm

Maybe it depends how much of a bond you had with that particular dog. I've had a number over the years and only felt really bonded with a couple of them. When my German Shepherd died a number of years ago I was heartbroken as he was a great companion on long walks and we had a rapport. When our black Labrador died I didn't miss him at all or feel sad.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 2:33 pm

YancyyyComet9000 wrote:
All I can think about is how much I want another dog, just to have a dog around again. Which again feels wrong. I shouldn't be thinking that this soon should I. Does anyone understand? I haven't been diagnosed with autism. I don't know if I'm just being heartless

Just because it feels wrong does not make it wrong, whose metric are you using? Get a new puppy, you know you want to :twisted:

I don't understand, but I am gutted for you. Grief affects everyone differently, maybe it hasn't sunk in yet?

I don't believe you are heartless for feeling the way you do.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 2:53 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2022, 7:32 pm

You've had your dog for a long time. Has she been having any health issues? If she was dealing with some health issues & needing a bit of special care, you've probably realized her death was coming & her death could seem almost like a relief. We've lost a few pets over the last 10 years & some were kinda recues that we didn't have for very long. Some deaths were a lot easier to handle than others. Plus as others have mentioned, grief affects everyone differently.

In regards to wanting a new dog, sometimes people get new pets rite after a pet dies. I'd suggest not bringing up the subject for a week thou to let your family grieve but if someone else brings it up or you have a good opertunity to get a pet, you could explain how you feel.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 10:00 pm

If it was my dog, I would have cried my eyes out for a few minutes. That's just me, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 10:04 pm

I'm crying just from the thread title. My dog will turn 12 this week and it's something that I dread ever confronting.

That doesn't mean your feelings are wrong. You love the idea of having a dog. You want a dog. You miss having a dog. That means you ARE grieving and hurting even if it seems different from your other family members.

When one of my cats was hit by a car I found another one almost identical the next day.
People said it was wrong but it felt right to me, to fill the space.
Do what feels right.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 10:08 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm crying just from the thread title. My dog will turn 12 this week and it's something that I dread ever confronting.

That doesn't mean your feelings are wrong. You love the idea of having a dog. You want a dog. You miss having a dog. That means you ARE grieving and hurting even if it seems different from your other family members.

When one of my cats was hit by a car I found another one almost identical the next day.
People said it was wrong but it felt right to me, to fill the space.
Do what feels right.

Sweet Pea hugs

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2022, 11:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
If it was my dog, I would have cried my eyes out for a few minutes. That's just me, though.
I never been much of a crier except for when my depression was really bad. About the only time I majorly cried for the death of a pet was when my girlfriend put her cat to sleep cuz she was having kidney failure. I cried because of how badly my girlfriend was hurting. Plus my gf had asked for my opinion before offically making the decision. She will always feel awful about doing that & will never forgive herself :cry: I kinda hate myself too but I can analize & know logically that it was the best choice. I feel more like crying for deaths if I can see others are really hurting even if I don't know the people or if I see animals grieving for a loss but I manage to contain myself. I never had a close relationship with any person who died. For my other pet deaths I felt more anger. I know I coulda & shoulda been a better pet parent even if they still woulda died then. I wanted to smash something, scream, & cry all at the same time but I end up doing neither of that. Maybe I'm too held together by my psych meds. I read an article a few years ago about how short-term use of antidepressants can help some people handle grief or turbulant life events like a serious relationship suddently ending. The antidepressants can help hold people together while they're figuring out how to cope. A bit of us here are on psych meds, I don't know if you are OP but if you are that might could be a factor.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 1:08 am

My Sympathies on the passing of your dog , when and if we grieve it usually comes in our own times ….

where ever you go ,there you are