Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 4:02 pm

most people dont like me

i dont like most people

i am thinking of getting a job where i dont have to see people and can just be on my own

i love driving though and im good at remembering routes and directions

im currently a bus driver but im thinking of switching over to lorry driver where all i can do is drive with no social interaction

what do you think should i go for it or am i being too ambitious here .?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 5:06 pm

do you know if youll be spending nights away from home and what hours you'd be working?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 5:33 pm

Difficult to say. Is an idea. One can look into it but be cautiious not to give up the bus driving until one is sure. There are different types of lorry driving jobs. Some are long distance. Others are short trip workings such as delivering building supplies or collecting and delivering scrap metals. Loads of different jobs, but do some research. The grass seems greener but not always. May be ideal. May not be so do research. Ask lorry drivers as they will tell you the good and bad points of their work. Many bus drivers went lorry driving when the pay went up so ask a few of them?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 6:06 pm

I would stick with being a bus driver.

ninjaman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2022, 8:59 am

Hello,
Currently doing my training through a government scheme. My training is conditional on me getting some kind of job offer or work in the industry before they put me on my training. So, I have to look for a job in the mean time which is my problem so far.
I have looked at the money but the trade off is the isolation, being on my own. This can be a little daunting and I hear people can be rude to drivers. The physical aspect is a little worrying as I have some back injury that I do not want any worse. I think that after I get the hang of it, it should get easier. Look at the training requirements and cost first then job availability.
Hopefully you find something that will fit.
I feel the same way about work and people. It is something that I do that makes me not fit in. I am stubborn and don't come across as happy. This has an effect on people. No one wants to be around a miserable person.
All the best
Simon

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2022, 6:00 am

It'll be in a field you're already familiar with. I work for the steel industry and I noticed the lorry drivers who deliver our steel seem to have a well balanced work, home life.

Brahmacharya
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2022, 2:55 pm

I made this exact change (From being office staff to Lorry Driver) and it was the best decision I have made.

Bear in mind though, that you are still not away from people all the time, you still have to interact with your employer, and the people you deliver to.

The danger I have found is that I become even less and less tolerant of being around people. You will need to develop strategies around how to act and interact in these circumstances.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 2:05 pm

I don't think it's too ambitious at all!

Especially since you're already a bus driver and can clearly handle driving large vehicles.

Might be some learning to do when it comes to trailers vs. fixed vehicles if you end up driving something like that, but shouldn't be that big of an adjustment.

Why not give it a shot? Not like you can't go back to hauling human cargo if hauling boxes, pallets, crates and lumber or whatever isn't for you. Somehow I doubt you'd be blocked from becoming a bus driver again.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 6:27 am

Caz72 wrote:
most people dont like me

i dont like most people

i am thinking of getting a job where i dont have to see people and can just be on my own

i love driving though and im good at remembering routes and directions

im currently a bus driver but im thinking of switching over to lorry driver where all i can do is drive with no social interaction

what do you think should i go for it or am i being too ambitious here .?

Firstly, you need to consider your personal safety.
Driving alone is not particularly safe, especially for a woman.

BTW, this has been my motto for decades:
"Most pain comes from other people...
Reason would suggest avoiding most people..."
We are in sympathy here. 8)