President of LA City Council resigns in disgrace

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 8:06 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
None of these people look like monkeys, what is wrong with you?
]

Neither does the baby whom was the target of their racist vitriol

Nice try, but no one here claimed it did. You used the word 'neither' incorrectly, as you have already posted that the 3 Mexicans look like monkeys.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Last edited by Doberdoofus on 15 Oct 2022, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 8:08 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
]

Nice try, but no one here claimed it did. You used the word 'neither' incorrectly, as you have already posted that Mexicans look like monkeys.

How is putting a mirror in front of racists racist?

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 8:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
]

Nice try, but no one here claimed it did. You used the word 'neither' incorrectly, as you have already posted that Mexicans look like monkeys.

How is putting a mirror in front of racists racist?

It's not, and to claim that's what you did is just an outright lie for all to see. Anyway, I thought this was derailing, why are you still engaging? I no longer want to post in your thread with your racist attitude.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 10:01 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
It's not, and to claim that's what you did is just an outright lie for all to see. Anyway, I thought this was derailing, why are you still engaging? I no longer want to post in your thread with your racist attitude.

I'll let the moderators decide that rather than a troll who seems hell bent on trying to defame me and derail this thread.
I needn't point out that I have a reputation on this forum for being anti-racist so nice try and (a little hint) improve your own toxic attitude.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 10:54 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I'm just going to point out that there's this weird sort of projection going on when it comes to common uses of the word "monkey" and its permutations to mean "messing around", such as monkey business, monkeying something up, monkeying around, etc, where progressives immediately assume that the word is racially loaded in a way that it most often isn't, which is sort of racist in that the first thing they think of when hearing the word "monkey" is black people.

Back in Seattle we even had a weird little micro controversy over some businesses in the neighborhood near the zoo putting up monkey themed decorations and some local progressive group claiming that it was racist, which again is pretty telling that they jumped right from monkeys to blacks, and apparently assume that's what everyone does.

As she directly called the child a monkey, it's hard to imagine she was just saying the kid was just "messing around."

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 12:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
I have a reputation on this forum

Yep.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 1:12 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yep.

So this is just turning into a personal attack in order to avoid the topic thread?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 1:13 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
I'm just going to point out that there's this weird sort of projection going on when it comes to common uses of the word "monkey" and its permutations to mean "messing around", such as monkey business, monkeying something up, monkeying around, etc, where progressives immediately assume that the word is racially loaded in a way that it most often isn't, which is sort of racist in that the first thing they think of when hearing the word "monkey" is black people.

Back in Seattle we even had a weird little micro controversy over some businesses in the neighborhood near the zoo putting up monkey themed decorations and some local progressive group claiming that it was racist, which again is pretty telling that they jumped right from monkeys to blacks, and apparently assume that's what everyone does.

As she directly called the child a monkey, it's hard to imagine she was just saying the kid was just "messing around."

Given most of the people calling for their dismissal are Spanish speaking it suggests the quote was mean't to be a slur, Again the evidence is in the motions to have them dismissed,

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:17 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yep.

And not the one he thinks, either.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

If you had no idea of the races of the people involved, would you automatically assume that someone referring to a misbehaving child as a monkey was being racist? Because if you do, it's you who's immediately associating black people with monkeys, which is far from a universal reaction.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:35 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

If you had no idea of the races of the people involved, would you automatically assume that someone referring to a misbehaving child as a monkey was being racist? Because if you do, it's you who's immediately associating black people with monkeys, which is far from a universal reaction.

No, if I didn't know the color of the child in question, I wouldn't. But the child who was called a monkey is black, and so the racial connotation can't be ignored.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:55 am

This is only being well covered beyond Los Angeles because it fits an agenda. "See a person of color can be racist also".

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 3:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This is only being well covered beyond Los Angeles because it fits an agenda. "See a person of color can be racist also".

It's no secret there are divisions in LA between hispanic communities and black. But even hispanic residents of LA are unable to stomach the comments made by the council. I'll keep this thread going till they sack all the council members who at the moment are desperately trying to hold onto their lucrative jobs.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Oct 2022, 3:34 am

! The_Walrus wrote:
Having reviewed this, my interpretation is that cyberdad was using the word meaning “little monkey” in a metaphorical, non-racial manner, highlighting their stupidity rather than their skin. Given that the article frames it as a racial slur, I understand why people read it as a racial slur, but please move on.

It is worth noting that the councillor made a number of racial remarks which do not have this plausible defence.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 3:41 am

Thank you Walrus!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 5:30 am

Yet another one!
https://www.pehalnews.in/judge-orders-p ... l/2471721/

Seems this is not an isolated incident, In this case the alderman also is refusing to step down.