Neurodivergent site or Autistic site?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 11:52 am

There are sites about neurodiverse non autistic conditions. Why should autistic people be the exception and not have a site dedicated to our condition?

I am not at all advocating abandoning WP’s non discrimination policies. Both sides benefit from the dialogue. Sometimes it takes outsiders to see the truth we are too involved to see. There are many traits we share with other conditions, commiseration and coping mechanisms that apply to that trait in general are helpful for autistic and allistic alike. Even if you want an only autistic space how would it be enforced?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Oct 2022, 3:59 pm

The site is dedicated to autism, but given the huge overlap between, eg, autism and ADHD, or dyslexia, or whatever, it’s natural that those things get talked about a lot too.

Xenia Grant was talking about “autism cousins” as early as 1993: https://ballastexistenz.wordpress.com/2 ... 1/cousins/