Video/Movie over 1hour and sensory overload..

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2022, 2:28 pm

I have a question about ASD and specifically the 'sensory overload' in this category... If i watch a movie or video thats about 1hour long I am fine. If it goes to 2 hours or over tho when the movie stops i feel like i have to 'come back' because everything from the nerves in the surface of my skin to my brain is very 'numb' (i cant really describe it with a better word).. and i have forgotten parts of the movie... and long term memory storage of this movie is out of the question. This weird 'effect' has been creeping up on me worse and worse over the last 3 years and currently im 39... Is it age related? Is it something else that i do not know?

I desperately seek Knowledge and Advice on this subject, anything from links on the internet to your own words are appreciated highly..

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 3:02 pm

very strange, never heard of this condition though. Sorry

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 5:28 pm

It sounds like a combo of sensory overload and hyperfocus.
I get that feeling after concentrating on anything for a long time.

When I go down a rabbit hole I can check out from "real life" for several hours.
I forget where I am and what's happening around me.
The house could catch fire and I likely wouldn't know.

It's like I dissociate from my physical body because I get stuck in my head.
Sometimes I can't even walk or speak afterward, because I get so dizzy.

I have ADHD so I've never been able to focus on TV or movies.
I can't say that applies for me but if I did focus I'm sure I would react like you.

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2022, 8:24 pm

Thank you Isabella

You are right, its a long time that i have to stay focused on and follow along with the story and remember what all is going on... I guess.. I just cant do movies anymore.. between youtube and that damn device my family just loves called a 'roku' my brain is done and needs a break..

Will a break cause the overload to go away?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 8:58 pm

Tonight I discovered I can watch YouTube on my Roku TV.
I've only had it for about four years without knowing.
I made it about half-way through a movie.

A break will reset you, but only to your default focus level.
Mine isn't great to begin with.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 12:46 am

I have trouble following movie / TV series plots because they often go too fast for me and I can't remember the characters' names (and faces unless they're strikingly different from each other) unless there are only a very few of them. I've never measured how long I can keep my attention on them, but I expect it would vary depending on the video and my state of mind. I don't start feeling physically weird or uncomfortable though, I just feel frustrated and annoyed at myself for losing the plot.

It usually helps if I give myself a break ever so often when it's a long film, and that would seem a logical way for you to avoid those unpleasant sensations you're getting. They say it's bad for anybody's health to sit still for a long time anyway - this web page recommends taking a break every half hour:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... q-20058005

For live television, a video recorder would get round the problem, and breaks could be taken during the ads if there were any, which would also have the advantage of missing the ads.

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2022, 2:30 am

no, the opposite here. I have no trouble watching long movies, it's short episodic ones that are hard. cause it takes me some minutes to get into it, but then the episode is over, and I need to start watching the next one and I feel out of loop

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:46 am

It happens to me rather too often.
Except I was conditioned to ignore it.

As a child, I keep chosing to finish watching or listening something regardless of what come out of it.

It's not limited to overstimulation.
This extends whether I'm too sick, too sleepy, or too overwhelmed and in sensory pain in multiple directions.
Sometimes to a point other people would have to try and stop me.

Even if my head couldn't take it anymore, I'd still watch/read/work through the whole thing whether or not I'm able to absorb or comprehend as long as I am going to finish it.

Too bad this doesn't work with my emotions.
And no one's teaching me the concept of regulation and monitoring -- all I know was that limitations are frustrating and are liabilities.

No one taught me management and balance.

Sometimes I wonder, too, if it's age related or something to do with childhood habits and "abusing" focus in teenage years affecting adulthood, or something else entirely.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Oct 2022, 11:34 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I have trouble following movie / TV series plots because they often go too fast for me and I can't remember the characters' names (and faces unless they're strikingly different from each other) unless there are only a very few of them.

to know the opposite can be a problem is actually reassuring, this being a 'spectrum' disorder as the doctors say, that just fits this 'logic puzzle' now...

Quote:
For live television, a video recorder would get round the problem, and breaks could be taken during the ads if there were any, which would also have the advantage of missing the ads.

i went old-fashioned with that, using an old digital tuner with composite video out with a still-working VCR to record the news and skip past the crap to get to the weathermans take on things... with the bonus that i can still watch my VHS collection..

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Tonight I discovered I can watch YouTube on my Roku TV.
I've only had it for about four years without knowing.

i have to admit the roku is a bit of a miracle device for those who can put up with commercials...
technically its an achievement... realistically its a noise making nightmare...

Quote:
I made it about half-way through a movie.
A break will reset you, but only to your default focus level.

my default focus level can get me about 2hr and 20 min into a good movie.... i guess i just need to give it time to reset... too much roku and youtube for too long...

himmellaufen wrote:
no, the opposite here. I have no trouble watching long movies, it's short episodic ones that are hard. cause it takes me some minutes to get into it, but then the episode is over, and I need to start watching the next one and I feel out of loop

again more logic pieces fall into place...

Edna3362 wrote:
It happens to me rather too often.
Except I was conditioned to ignore it.

As a child, I keep chosing to finish watching or listening something regardless of what come out of it.

'conditioning' always seemed like a bad thing to do... conditioned to the point where social interactions can be made to the persons ability sure, but forced to sit and just 'take it' is just wrong to me in so many ways...

Quote:
It's not limited to overstimulation.
This extends whether I'm too sick, too sleepy, or too overwhelmed and in sensory pain in multiple directions.
Sometimes to a point other people would have to try and stop me.

i get sick and keep going without noticing which causes this as well.. someone usually has to intervene and tell me something along the lines of "you look sick -- how do you feel?" and by that time im rotten and in need of a round of antibiotics...

Quote:
And no one's teaching me the concept of regulation and monitoring -- all I know was that limitations are frustrating and are liabilities.
No one taught me management and balance.

i have had a lot of help with self monitoring and i still get it wrong, i let myself go too far... someone has to help me... please, please seek help for that one...

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder, too, if it's age related or something to do with childhood habits and "abusing" focus in teenage years affecting adulthood, or something else entirely.

Getting older and weaker, things that didn't hurt hurting... Have we answered our own question? Keep going at it but cant handle it like our youth?

Another one to puzzle and ponder....?

----

I have to thank All of you for your input and points of view.... this has been incredibly enlightening.... I signed up for this forum a long time ago but was unable to really dip my toes in out of social fears...... .....but in all honesty... after all this... I think I have found my people.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 5:46 am

I hate interrupting films. The only good reason I might is if it's like The Deer Hunter at something like three and a half hours. I might have to split it into 2 sessions. Can't sit on my ass and pay attention for that long. I've long considered 120 minute films superior to 100 minute films. It's the same plot arc, but those extra 20 minutes provide crucial character development that so many films miss on.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 6:26 am

Mephitidae wrote:

Erm... 8O

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 9:09 am

Mephitidae wrote:
I have a question about ASD and specifically the 'sensory overload' in this category... If i watch a movie or video thats about 1hour long I am fine. If it goes to 2 hours or over tho when the movie stops i feel like i have to 'come back' because everything from the nerves in the surface of my skin to my brain is very 'numb' (i cant really describe it with a better word).. and i have forgotten parts of the movie... and long term memory storage of this movie is out of the question. This weird 'effect' has been creeping up on me worse and worse over the last 3 years and currently im 39... Is it age related? Is it something else that i do not know?

I desperately seek Knowledge and Advice on this subject, anything from links on the internet to your own words are appreciated highly..

Does the type of movie make a difference?

Modern action special effects movies bombard your senses more than do...say...1940s film noir movies.

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2022, 12:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Does the type of movie make a difference?

Modern action special effects movies bombard your senses more than do...say...1940s film noir movies.

Actually no, I enjoyed 'The Maltese Falcon' and 'Chinatown' just as much as 'Mad Max: Fury Road'.... tho I do have a preference for hand (not CG) animated features which today narrows me down to anime... but even then the length can still be too much. after all the information here tho i think i need to take a long break away from visual entertainment (videos movies series whatever) and let my brain reset..

My favorite form of entertainment above all else is music, however the rest of my family are not music fans but movie and TV fans...

Pepe wrote:
Erm... 8O

Hello there fellow striped one. :lol:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 5:13 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I hate interrupting films. I might have to split it into 2 sessions. Can't sit on my ass and pay attention for that long. I've long considered 120 minute films superior to 100 minute films. It's the same plot arc, but those extra 20 minutes provide crucial character development that so many films miss on.

Same with me. Earlier this year, I sat through Nope just fine, given its length of 2 hours & 11 minutes.

However, I tried watching Matt Reeves' new Batman film, couldn't do it because of its 3-hour length.

(Both had great performances in them.)