Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2022, 4:22 am

How do you manage sensory issues caused by your clothing? Are there particular types of clothing that you have found work better for you? I've been thinking about this tonight, as I am buying a few new clothes for winter.

Last edited by Ollywog on 18 Oct 2022, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2022, 4:42 am

I wear only collared shirts, mostly polos. Collared shirts don't irritate my neck the way t-shirts do, and polo shirts are knit, so they are soft and stretchy. I also tend to buy everything fairly roomy, as tight clothing bothers me.

I feel kind of weird promoting a particular product, but I've found the pants linked below really good. For a while I was simply wearing knit pants, but I didn't like the way they looked. These ones are mostly woven, but have a soft, knit waistband, which I find helps a lot.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B08V1DVC3G

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 9:19 am

Rule number 1: if the tags irritate you, just cut them off. But remember to somehow mark at what temperature they should be washed at, unless you can tell from the material.

Aside from that, it depends on what kind of sensory issues one has. I'd say that the best way to figure out what works is to try out lots of different types and materials, and then ditch those that don't work for you. If you can borrow clothes from a friend or a sister or the like, all the better, because then you won't end up buying stuff you can't use.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 9:24 am

Sensory issues will be different for everyone - I cant stand the feel of a collar on a dress shirt, and I don't like anything with buttons. Crew neck t-shirts are fine in cotton, but I can't stand microfiber fabrics.

The best thing you can do is find out what works best for YOU and what doesn't.

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2022, 4:40 am

Everyone is different, but not every one of a person's sensitivities will be unique. If enough people share their difficulties and how they deal with them, many readers will find one or two things that are applicable.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 1:35 pm

Ollywog wrote:
Everyone is different, but not every one of a person's sensitivities will be unique. If enough people share their difficulties and how they deal with them, many readers will find one or two things that are applicable.

Fair.

Since it's winter clothes you're looking for, I'll focus on those.

First, a good jacket is a must if the temperature drops below 0 C. Often before it too, but definitely when it falls that low. What a good jacket means for me is that it shouldn't end at my hips. Instead, it should reach at least over my butt, and it certainly doesn't hurt if it's longer than that. The reason is that if it ends at hips, the area below can feel a lot colder than the area above, especially when sitting outside, and that's no good when it comes to my sensory issues.

When it comes to keeping your feet warm, if you can't find comfortable winter shoes, having socks that are warm enough, or several pairs of socks at once, in sneakers works as long as there isn't too much rain or snow. But having good winter shoes is definitely better.

And for legs, for a long time I couldn't wear stockings or leggings or the like because the former was (and still is) hard to move in, and the later follows the shape of one's body closely which used to be very uncomfortable for me, so instead of having those under my regular pants, I wore the kind of outdoor pants over them that little kids who like to play in mud usually wear. I checked the word for them with google translate and it says "dungarees." Is that an actual word for outdoor pants? 8O

With long sleeved shirts, I prefer the ones that have buttons or zippers. The ones that don't have to be pulled on over the head and that feels uncomfortable for me, more so than with t-shirts since those usually have a bigger neck opening.

...Is this the kind of thing you were asking about or am I rambling about irrelevant things?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 2:06 pm

Any label that gives me issues I rip out. Cutting off makes the cut bits even more irritating than the label was!
I can't touch polo neck jumpers. Claustrophobic! Can only put secondhand half worn out wool next to my skin. Could go itchy wearing a wooly jumper through a shirt and a vest when young! Today still have sensitive skin but as I have aged, is less than it was as a child. Still have to have a bath straight asay after having a haircut and have a set of clothes to have haircut in are washed a few times and are only used tor haircuts... Scratchy when I put them on and can just about tollerate them for the haircut before I head for the bath. The clothes get washed more than once. Want the clothes to be washed alone as hairs can get onto other clothes. Can take hours to take off every hair before clothes can be worn. Is cut hairs that do it.
Hairs in socks are soo annoying!

I tend to wear clothes for comfort. Never have been fashionable but I do create my own fashion! Haha!

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2022, 10:30 pm

Tags: I tear them out with a seam ripper then hem the edge back without the tag.

For winter time: comfy sweaters!! Fleece and flannel are also great. Anything fleece-lined or sherpa-lined.

At least one pair of good water proof boots for snow days. Nothing worse than wet feet when it's freezing out....

Same for the jacket.... get something long, waterproof, and with a hood. If it snows, you'll be glad you have such a jacket. They call them "puffers" here.

Hats - usually a knit beanie. Something that covers the ears and can be tossed in the washer/drier.

Gloves - waterproof! Again you don't want freezing wet fingertips.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2022, 10:54 pm

Living in a hot climate, I always try to buy clothing made of natural fibres like cotton, silk, hemp, fine linen and bamboo..
Someone said fleece, but I personally cannot stand fleece!
I also have trouble with clothing constructed of knit material, such as t-shirts and track pants, they feel claustrophobic and too warm, like they don't breathe. Then I sweat and they feel clammy. Yuk!
I also can't use normal washing powder, I use natural washing soda instead.
This cuts down the itchies and irritation considerably.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2022, 11:43 pm

Itchy clothes are a definite no no, especially itchy sweaters. ^ 8O :(

I wear cotton, silk, bamboo, but not linen.
Linen feels very wrong unless it's lined with silk.

I can't stand fleece either. ^

I like skirts and dresses if they're flowy, or else nicely tailored clothes that fit.
I think fit is just as important as fabric.

I don't do socks and I only wear a bra when I go in public (which is rare).
Bras are the bane of my existence.

I have a winter coat and boots but seldom wear them.
I can't stand gloves, winter hats, or scarves, but I can do mittens.

If I do wear winter boots I'm usually barefoot inside.

Yup, I'm weird like that.

Raleigh convinced me to use natural washing soda, too.
It makes a big difference with none of the scented chemicals.
One bag has lasted me over a year so far.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 7:25 pm

Soft, loose, natural fibers that are breathable , no tags, no tight elastic, warm in winter, cool in summer, easy care.
And pretty of course.

Not_Otherwize_Specified
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2022, 6:10 pm

I definitely prefer shirts that are soft, like cotton, definitely not scratchy. Pants must have some looseness to them, I only wear jeans that are the stretchy kind. I have always and will always hate, hate clothes that are tight fitting.

WisteriaRose
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2023, 5:25 pm

I like to wear flowy, long dresses with flowers. I love flowers.

Sometimes I wear sweet pea hand lotion, so I can pretend that I’m in a flower garden - even in the wintertime.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 11:08 pm

I wear a lot of Carhartt and jeans these days. A lot of clothes that are sold in stores feel very cheap and stiff? I don’t like how they feel on me so I don’t really get new stuff anymore unless it’s super soft leggings. I like these kind from Aerie that feel like butter.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 6:37 pm

I make my own clothes. I can pick the textures and the patterns. I didn't realize how comfortable skirts and dresses were until I started making my own. I could never find a premade dress I liked. They either were to short, revealed parts of my body I didn't want to reveal, had sleeves (I hate dresses with sleeves), or came in a pattern I didn't like or was made out of a material that wasn't compatible with my skin. And I ain't exactly a petite. Most clothes women's clothes you find pre-made don't come in me size.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2023, 11:53 pm

Does anyone else wear jeans and feel like their skin is being rubbed up and down with sandpaper? Any suggestions, because I also like loose clothing as well since everytime I've worn tight/fitted clothing it makes me feel like I'm being squeezed and almost suffocated around my stomach?