Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 1:05 pm

https://youtu.be/GhAKMAcmJFg

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 1:31 pm

Better than being cold. That said, I also have a gas to air furnace.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 1:58 pm

A neighbour did up a derelect cottage in one of their fields which they rent for holidays and it was all done out the old fashoined ways... But there are modern features. One of them is that as they had plenty of land, they dug 14ft trenches to install a ground source heating system which heats the floor of the cottage. They dug these trenches in about half an acre of a field.
Now though the heat is extrated out of the ground for free, the pumps needed do cost a fair bit to run. He said that gas (Bottled gas up here) or oil would have been cheaper to run, but the system does run ok so there are no complaints there and it is real luxury to walk on a nice and warm floor.
I have heard that the air sourced heating systems do not work if temperatures fall below -5 (0 is the point of freezing) and struggles anywhere below 0 degrees, as they tried this heating system on an elderly home complex, and the residents were freezing with the really cold days as their heating would shut itself off. (The residents had to have little plug in electric heaters for those days).

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 3:46 pm

Heated floors are nice. Back in Europe we had electric heating wires below floor tiles in a bathroom. In US the electrical code does not allow that. It's possible to plumb hot water pipes into the floor, but I would imagine it would be impractical of prohibitively expensive for anything but the smallest areas.

My heat pump and natural gas furnace are automatically switched by the thermostat. I'm not actually sure how it decides which to run because it has no exterior temperature probe for heat pump efficiency estimation. I'll have to look into that.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 4:06 pm

My place is so old it uses a boiler.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 4:28 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Heated floors are nice. Back in Europe we had electric heating wires below floor tiles in a bathroom. In US the electrical code does not allow that. It's possible to plumb hot water pipes into the floor, but I would imagine it would be impractical of prohibitively expensive for anything but the smallest areas.

My heat pump and natural gas furnace are automatically switched by the thermostat. I'm not actually sure how it decides which to run because it has no exterior temperature probe for heat pump efficiency estimation. I'll have to look into that.

Heat pump idea and gas used together is a good idea.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 10:29 pm

I have wood heat.The rooms far away can get chilly since the heater is in the living room.Space heaters work well for that, and I’m getting an electric blanket for this winter.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 10:39 pm

Lol, my gas central heating system is 32 years old, and it hasn't been serviced for around two decades. For the last five years I've been scared to use it in case I blow the house up. So I just use an electric fan heater for the upstairs room where I spend most of my time, and occasionally turn on the gas fire in my downstairs living room.

Haven't used any of these since about March of this year, and will avoid doing so for as long as possible. The weather is still fairly mild in the UK right now.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 10:46 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I have wood heat.The rooms far away can get chilly since the heater is in the living room.Space heaters work well for that, and I’m getting an electric blanket for this winter.

AFAIK that's a side effect of a fireplace, it draws air through it and out of the chimney, pulling the (warm) air out of all adjacent rooms, pulling cold air into the rooms from every nook and cranny of the house. All the warm air in the house just goes out of the chimney.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 10:29 am

It’s a wood stove.Wish I had a fireplace just for the enjoyment.I can open the heater door to see the flames but it’s not the same.
It is handy to cook on in the winter.
Also messy, ash, bark, etc…

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 10:49 am

"Heat pumps" are s**t.

I work in an engineering company and what the engineers say about stuff like this never seems promising.

Basically the bigger temp difference to ambient temp takes an increasingly disproportional amount of energy to create. Heat pumps never actually "make" heat, they only create a temp difference and in a prolonged bitter winter you're better off burning cowpats. In incredibly frigid countries they will probably fail to work at a time you need them the most.

This is the problem with many in the green brigade. They want everyone to go green but have no clue what it entails or the practicalities.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 11:01 am

Misslizard wrote:
It’s a wood stove.Wish I had a fireplace just for the enjoyment.I can open the heater door to see the flames but it’s not the same.
It is handy to cook on in the winter.
Also messy, ash, bark, etc…

What works well is a fire screen.