Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 4:57 pm

I have very deep thoughts on various subjects, especially related to life, but I find myself unable to have deep conversations, or carry them. I'm not sure if it's just difficulty opening up or the problem with the conversation format.

I sometimes worry that other people may find me shallow.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 8:04 pm

Do you have this difficulty in writing (e.g. here on Wrong Planet), or mainly just in in-person and other real-time (e.g. video chat) conversation?

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2022, 7:42 pm

Maybe they find you too deep?

Most people want shallow talk and nothing too intellectual..

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2022, 4:55 am

thoughts are like an ocean, words are like a tiny spoon you're trying to move the ocean with. the language simply isn't good enough of a tool to express most philosophical concepts. abstract art does a better job at that.

RalphToMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2022, 1:00 am

I've got the same thing going on! Usually if I've figured out something interesting I've gotta say it in the moment or else I'm never gonna be able to word it properly out loud. I'm great in writing, though. I think I just take some extra time to try to formulate my sentences- I can blank really easily and lose track of what I'm saying, which is fine enough on paper, but in real life I feel like I might come across as a bit of a clown.

For the people that really matter, I just ask for them to give me time to pause and think. Sometimes people can throw some really loaded statements at you really casually, and I need to ask them if I can think it through before we say anything else. If they're good for you, they'll take that time.