Right wing developer hijacks Minecraft

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 4:03 pm

A right wing developer has locked out his other co-developers over “leftist queer ideology” on popular Minecraft project PolyMC.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/gami ... 58292cc279

The Minecraft project, PolyMC, has been commandeered by one of the developers, evicting all other developers and locking them out of the code.
The only change so far removes rules from the project’s Code of Conduct that protects marginalised people, nicknamed “reclaim polymc from the leftoids.”

The war on "woke" is now entering gaming. The project developer is removing the rules that prohibited transphobic, homophobic, and racist abuse.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 4:55 pm

I don't like it when SJWs take control and I don't like it when the far right takes control either. I wish everyone would just drop the politics. Don't insert it into the company project. Don't bring it into the workplace. Just drop it and stop it.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 7:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The war on "woke" is now entering gaming.

Better to say it started in gaming. The first real pushback was Gamergate.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 8:28 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
I don't like it when SJWs take control and I don't like it when the far right takes control either. I wish everyone would just drop the politics. Don't insert it into the company project. Don't bring it into the workplace. Just drop it and stop it.

Unfortunately, it's a bit hard to be truly neutral in an era of rapid social and cultural change. When rules of etiquette are in process of changing, the people in charge of any given group setting have to make a choice as to which set of rules they will accept: the new rules, the old rules, or some combination thereof. Whatever choice they make, some people will likely be offended.

If people disagreed only over government policies and not over social rules, then avoiding controversy would be much easier.