How could my cool friend be so stupidly naïve about dating?

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 9:09 am

rse92 wrote:
I was profoundly hyperlexic as a child and educated myself on a number of subjects before I even went to school. I was everyone's Little Professor. I've been masking my whole life.

I was a little professor too. I learned to read at age 4, and was reading high school-level encyclopedias in 2nd grade, albeit only the ones on my special interest topic. But looking back, nobody respected me for it; the most I got was trite praise and tittering laughter, like "aww, hahaha, what a smart boy!". My family saw me as a monkey who was there for their entertainment and narcissistic bragging rights, and kids saw me as a weakling to bully. I had to learn to mask to pass off as "average".

During high school, I started to learn to sort trash from treasure and to follow my gut feeling. And that's where this thread comes in. By age 18, I knew just enough to know that having a friend chauffeur you on a date was romantic suicide. While my cool, popular NT friend did not, yet kept insisting on it. Unless, of course, he was trolling me. After all, pretending not to have basic knowledge of something is a common NT trolling and also therapy tactic.