Are there any dating sites especially for the mentally ill?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Oct 2022, 3:15 am

Are there any dating sites especially for the mentally ill? In addition to a provisional diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder, I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. My self-esteem's a little low, and I'm really not that used to interacting with the "real world" outside of very close friends and family, so something like that would probably make more sense than Geek2Geek or autism-specific dating sites.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Oct 2022, 9:05 pm

I used some dating sites related to mental illness or disabilities in general but that was about 12-14 years ago & I don't remember the names or know if those sites are still around. I'm sure there's still some dating sites like that out there thou. Some of the sites were kinda scams thou & required money & had lots of model looking women living in my unheard of town so I'd recommend being cautious before paying to use any site or giving them too much personal info. Some of the legit sites had forums & blog features which I liked & posted a bit too much on there :oops: I never got a date on em but I have lots of various mental & physical disabilities & like most all dating sites, there was a much higher ratio of men to women on them. Plus the sites had a lot less members than the mainstream ones(eg OK Cupid, Plenty Of Fish, eHarmony, & Match.com & such) so members were a lot more spread out. I noticed some of the same women on multiple sites related to mental disabilities or disabilities in general but a bit of those women were majorly disabled &/or very picky. If your a woman interested in a relationship with a man & you live in a bigger city or are willing & able to relocate after doing the long-distance thing for a bit, you might have better luck than a guy like me living in a somewhat rural area.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2022, 2:55 am

nick007 wrote:
If your a woman interested in a relationship with a man & you live in a bigger city or are willing & able to relocate after doing the long-distance thing for a bit, you might have better luck than a guy like me living in a somewhat rural area.

I live in a rural area, too, and I like it here, honestly. Relocating isn't something I really want to do, but I might be willing to try a long distance relationship, even though those usually don't work out.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 6:33 am

Like @nick007 I don't know if you're looking for men or women but you may want to think about what it is you're looking for. So the best relationship for somebody with any sort of disorder isn't necessarily somebody with that same disorder, however a "normal" person can face opprobrium for dating somebody with a disorder or mental illness. Ideally everybody is on a level playing field but that's not true in practice. If you have some baggage then you can't be as picky as somebody considered highly eligible. Also you need to know how open you are to having sex because most people you encounter in the dating world will be looking for that.

Also a LDR might be great for you if you usually prefer solitude but could still look forward to sharing a bed with another person on occasion.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 8:30 am

What part of Texas are you in?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2022, 11:28 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

I'm about 100 miles from San Antonio. I guess I could go there every week if I really needed to, but gas prices are high right now.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 1:38 pm

kmb501 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I'm about 100 miles from San Antonio. I guess I could go there every week if I really needed to, but gas prices are high right now.

Ah I see

I don't know about specific sites, but try looking for people with the same interests.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 5:26 pm

There's stuff I wanted to say here but I think I'm gonna sit this one out.

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2022, 1:01 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
There's stuff I wanted to say here but I think I'm gonna sit this one out.

If you want to, but I don't mind. You can say whatever you want.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 4:17 pm

Did a quick Google of "mental illness dating site" and came up with No Longer Lonely.

Here's an interview with the site's creator.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 4:34 pm

Depends on what exactly you seek from a relationship, but I would advise against dating people who self-identify as mentally ill. (It's harder to identify those who don't, until you start dating them.) But yeah, dating mentally ill is not advisable. No to mention it can have ethical problems.

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2022, 12:07 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Depends on what exactly you seek from a relationship, but I would advise against dating people who self-identify as mentally ill. (It's harder to identify those who don't, until you start dating them.) But yeah, dating mentally ill is not advisable. No to mention it can have ethical problems.

Well, I mean I'm not assuming the person is seriously mentally ill, probably just someone with schizoaffective disorder or mild PTSD, like I have, just looking for a kindred spirit is all. I...guess a lot of people don't advertise, though, do they?

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2022, 12:12 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Did a quick Google of "mental illness dating site" and came up with No Longer Lonely.

This kind of sounds perfect. I should have looked online before asking this question.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Nov 2022, 1:37 am

kmb501 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

This kind of sounds perfect. I should have looked online before asking this question.
I remember that's one of the sites I had used. It had a forum which I liked for a while but then it had a major trolling problem & me & lots of others left the site after a while as a result of the admin not doing anything. That was 12 years ago thou so maybe things are a lot better now.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 7:24 pm

I don't know of any. A lot of the mainstream dating websites have people who mention their issues in their biography/profile section, though.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 9:47 pm

kmb501 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I'm in a suburb of Houston.