Autistic Twitter makes me doubt I'm autistic

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 11:58 am

My education stopped at O levels. My 1st psych admission was during the term I was supposed to take my A levels. Apart from a brief attempt at a history A level correspondence course over 45 years ago I've done no studying at all. I did join https://www.prometheusociety.com/ for a while but got cold feet and left . Let's just say members like the following could make me look like a village ​idiot with minimal effort.

Hankyung Lee, MD (Lifetime)

Tom Chittenden, PhD, DPhil (Lifetime)

Kirk Butt, ThD, PhD (Lifetime)

Greg A. Grove, PhD, PsyD (Lifetime)
Robert Klitzman, MD (Lifetime)

Ricardo Rossello, PhD (Lifetime)

Mahmut Karindas, MD (Lifetime)

Ilia Stambler, PhD (Lifetime)

Mark Coekelbergh, PhD (Lifetime)

Ronald Jemal Stephens, PhD (Lifetime)

Paul Edgeworth, JD (Lifetime)

Justin Lancaster, JD (Lifetime)

Ina Bendis, MD, JD, PhD (Lifetime)

Henrik Lagerland, PhD (Lifetime)

Michael Rose, PhD (Lifetime)

Amith Shelat, MD (Lifetime)

Richard M. Riss, PhD (Lifetime)

Alexandre Tang, PhD (Lifetime​

Tim Roberts, PhD (Lifetime)

Roy Morris, PhD (Lifetime)

Claus Volko, MD, MSc (Lifetime)

Fengzhi Wu, PhD (Lifetime)
Veronica Palladino, MD (Lifetime)

Simon Olling Rebsdorf, PhD, MSc,
BSc, Journalist (Lifetime)

Edwin P. Christmann, PhD (Lifetime)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 2:14 pm

I think that the people who are most visible on social media are always the people who are a bit "extra" - somehow their struggles are always harder and their triumphs are always greater than the rest of us! (Whether they're being honest or exaggerating varies, a lot.)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 3:55 pm

Cripes reading this thread leaves me wondering , Am not even close to most of the posters here ..fight to mask ..
Every time I have to deal with anyone everyday.. With the exception of a few people I get to rarely see in Real life.
Am constantly trying make up for lots of little accidents that occur in my daily life . Just to make life work to appear to be as independent living as I can do.. Otherwise everything in life feels like a work around . Just to get by .
But that’s the physical stuff. And with my unexpected successes, In living on my own.. People in the areas , I have found to live in that I can afford . Have turned me into a target for people who have no scruples about victimizing people , including the people who are charged with keeping the peace.And I do not do the victim role well. My human interaction and or manipulation skills of life are so minimal . When the least stressed . Masking skills go away quickly . For the periods of time , I am able to do them… And physical disabilities that, I have worked so hard to hide in addition to keep up my masking .
End up giving me usually a half life.. Can only actually function a half of day, everyday. And , am aware that I have enough upstairs mentally and am literate and have a excellent vocabulary , that it backfires on me. People take me to be much more capable than my Autism actually allows ..Cannot go on to begin to explain the successes and even
Greater losses, I have sustained . Society has taught that those at my level . Do much better to avoid societal interactions . …. Have gleaned a extensive knowledge base that whenever ,I have tried to take advantage of it am
Repeatedly over and over beat down,it seems. And am only a edge participant in modern computing . And it seems in real life . So I must admit that I am very impressed with all you all Aspies that have done so very well. !
(But their are those of us who can not even address the degree of life that seems to be addressed here.)
And am cursed with the honesty and the ability to see patterns and incongruities that I see that less scrupulous people put upon the less fortunate.And open my stupid mouth about them. And often note the irony’s that occur around these same things. Often outloud, which does not always carry over very well.
None of this addresses attempts to get regular medical care that so few doctors are able to address,given my medical history current and past . Robbing me of additional spoons by the hour , minute , day ?
So am hoping you all can carry on .. and am glad to be amongst to be amongst those who can post here . Seeing
What you all have done kinda gives me hope for those of us who are alittle less advanced . Hope this post does not offend anyone. :|

where ever you go ,there you are

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:06 pm

Well written. Not offensive at all.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:15 pm

Thank you .. thank. You for taking time to read it .

where ever you go ,there you are

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:57 pm

I have a degree and I have a job.... cleaning toilets at the university where I got the degree. Real big-brain energy.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:44 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I have a degree and I have a job.... cleaning toilets at the university where I got the degree. Real big-brain energy.

Comparatively speaking that's better than no degree and never had a paid job. I was too stress prone to cope well with a highly demanding job requiring brainpower, and too manually and practically inept to do a blue collar type job even adequately well.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 4:40 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
You remind me of me. I have a psychology degree and I'm a cleaner in a building full of psychologists.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 12:19 pm

renaeden wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
You remind me of me. I have a psychology degree and I'm a cleaner in a building full of psychologists.

I suspect there's more of us in that position, but no-one really talks about it.