Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Bamellis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2007, 12:55 pm

Funny Farm!

Seriously, Tristan, my 13 y/o aspie son is driving me insane! Suddenly he has a problem with any food that's cooked. All he wants to eat is Frozen Hot Pockets, Frozen Burritos, cold soup right out of a can and unboiled hard noodles. If I leave a dish out until the next day he'll pick the dried food off the dish the next day. I have to make sure to wash dishes right after every meal. Guess that's a good habit to get into but some nights when the baby is clingy I don't get to it until the next morning. We had toaster pancakes in the freezer and he ate them frozen. I wouldn't let him eat a fried chicken TV dinner last week because he wasn't gonna cook it. He got mad and argued with me. I had some sausage in the fridge and he ate it cold. It's driving me nuts. If we cook his food he'll throw a fit! He will still eat a hamburgers or anything my husband barbeque's on the grill cooked but not until it gets cold.

Is this an Aspie thing or is he just being difficult??

Something tells me he's either gonna be taking alot of cold lunches to school next year or eating off the salad bar.

Oldest son Tristan 3/30/94 ~Aspergers
2'nd son Jacob 4/27/95~Possibly in spectrum will know soon
Daughter Haylee 11/06/96~Just MOUTHY!!
Baby girl Isabella ~10/05/05

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 3:20 pm

There were foods I couldnt eat because they had a "chemical bitter" taste to me.Some textures felt like vomit in my mouth(apple sauce,cottage cheese)Some foods smell like vomit to me(guess I have a little vomit phobia?).I didnt like very cold foods because I had sesitive teeth and it hurt to bite into them.None of this makes sense to anyone that doesnt taste,feel,smell what I am,so I am sure my parents thought I was just being "difficult".Your son maynot even know why he doesnt like the "hot food",just knows it feels,tastes bad.

This may pass.As long as the cold foods he is eating isnt raw and going to make him sick,consider just letting him eat it this way.
Whether the behavior is for "attention" or do to a sensory experience,it will probably pass.I think when the food is frozen it has less flavor or smells that he may have a problem with?He has evidently found a way to get around these sensory issues by eating the food frozen,at least he is getting some nutrition?If not,multivitamens,minerals and fish oil suppliments are never a bad idea.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Mommamo
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2007, 8:27 pm

My son eats his peas and corn frozen and won't eat cooked food until it has cooled down. I wouldn't worry about it unless he's eating food that really needs to be cooked for health reasons.