why are most posts here by heterosexual men?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 12:16 pm

OP: How do you know the sexuality of someone (or gender for that matter) from a user name?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Nov 2022, 5:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
All dating websites are sausage fest.

After spending time on dating sites women seemingly become trained to think that all men are predators.

Been on the receiving end of that treatment myself. :(

I mean should women trust guys they met on dating sites and haven't met in person yet?

Still, though I can imagine it sucks for a guy to get that treatment where it is not the case, but it's more about being cautious for ones safety than assuming all men are predators.
Meeting strangers offline could be dangerous as well regardless of what gender you are & what gender you meet. Just because somebody seems charming & charismatic when you 1st meet them somewhere does NOT automatically mean that they are a decent person. There's been plenty of shows on the ID Channel about people who got in offline relationships with murderers. There's been a bit of stories on Unsolved Mysteries about people who got in offline relationships with conartists who were living secret double lives & the victims ended up flat broke & in legal trouble. Sometimes guys are the victims & the woman are the predators. I've known a bit of guys online & offline including my former supervisor who got in offline relationships with women who stole from them & took major advantage of them. The one nice woman my supervisor met started as an online relationship & they've been married 12 years now. My point is that you should NOT automatically trust anyone you meet weather you meet online or offline or if your a woman meeting a guy or if your a guy meeting a woman. Any human can potentially be very dangerous & everyone should be cautious in the begging of a relationship.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 5:31 pm

DanielW wrote:
OP: How do you know the sexuality of someone (or gender for that matter) from a user name?

That's exactly what I wanted to ask.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 8:34 am

This isn't an answer to the OP's question, but I've seen examples here of people who are other than CisHet expressing indignation at people who are, especially CisHet males; as though the mere presence of CisHet males on this site threatens the status of WP as a safe space for everyone else. There may even be some suspicion that CisHet males claiming to be autistic are really just maladjusted NTs who fail at relationships because they are congenitally misogynistic or homophobic (or any other related phobia that comes to mind).

TBH for somebody who is not a a cisgender heterosexual to come on a site and ask "why are there so many heterosexual men here?" is like somebody who goes to a street festival and asks "why are there so many black people here?" or "why are there so many homosexuals here?". You have to wonder why that should bother them, whether it's true or not.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 8:43 am

MaxE wrote:
This isn't an answer to the OP's question, but I've seen examples here of people who are other than CisHet expressing indignation at people who are, especially CisHet males; as though the mere presence of CisHet males on this site threatens the status of WP as a safe space for everyone else. There may even be some suspicion that CisHet males claiming to be autistic are really just maladjusted NTs who fail at relationships because they are congenitally misogynistic or homophobic (or any other related phobia that comes to mind).

TBH for somebody who is not a a cisgender heterosexual to come on a site and ask "why are there so many heterosexual men here?" is like somebody who goes to a street festival and asks "why are there so many black people here?" or "why are there so many homosexuals here?". You have to wonder why that should bother them, whether it's true or not.
'

Well that too, but ...its MORE like a White American traveling to Mexico, and asking "why are there so many Mexicans here?" or traveling to Beijing and then looking around, and then wondering "why are there are so many Chinese here?". I mean ...be an asshat, OR...be an idiot. But do ya hafta be BOTH at the same time? :lol:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 9:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Well that too, but ...its MORE like a White American traveling to Mexico, and asking "why are there so many Mexicans here?" or traveling to Beijing and then looking around, and then wondering "why are there are so many Chinese here?". I mean ...be an asshat, OR...be an idiot. But do ya hafta be BOTH at the same time? :lol:

That's a bit extreme, like nobody, with even the slightest grasp of geography and the wherewithal to travel long distances, should be surprised to travel to China and encounter Chinese people, but it's not inconceivable that somebody could book a holiday in the Bahamas without knowing that the Bahamas are predominantly Black. I actually heard somebody say they went on vacation in Guadeloupe and were surprised to discover it was French-speaking (yes this really happened). I can also recall a story, but I don't know if it's factual, about a rich housewife who went to Mallorca with her husband and came back, and told a friend she had no idea where Mallorca actually is despite having been there. She was quoted as saying something like "we got on a plane and when we got off we were in Mallorca, that's all she knows".

But I think the street festival example is valid. When Doris Day was the biggest thing in Hollywood, it wouldn't be unusual for something like that to be portrayed in a movie like it was attended by people who mostly look like they live in some upper middle class suburb in Ohio. So if a person were exposed to that perception as a young person, then they might suddenly find themselves way out of their comfort zone when faced with the reality. A specific memory I have from college though is being in a room with other students and watching "The Gong Show" and a guy unexpectedly speaks up to say "why are there so many black people on this show?" as though somebody should have taken action to avoid that undesirable outcome.

But I digress.