Is abortion just as bad as killing a newborn baby?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2022, 4:31 pm

When I was little before I knew much about pregnancy, I believed that abortion was illegal everywhere and that nearly everyone saw abortion as being as unacceptable as killing a born infant.

I was shocked when I discovered that abortion is legal in most places and that lots of people saw it as being okay.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 10:09 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's a scientific fact that the mother is seriously harmed by having a growing infant inside her throughout her whole pregnancy. And there's nothing beautiful about morning sickness, which I would be terrified to go through due to emetophphobia. Some women suffer hyperemesis gravidarum, which sounds like a spell from Harry Potter but is morning sickness so severe they can end up hospitalized. And then there's the fabulous, fun filled agonizing pain during childbirth, which last for hours on end until something about the size of a watermelon comes out of an opening that normally about the size of a quarter, with plenty of blood and placenta gushing out.

I would like to add that "morning sickness" is a bit misleading term; it is not uncommon for pregnant women to feel nauseous and throw up from time to time through the whole day instead of just mornings when the pregnancy reaches a certain point. If it was just mornings, it'd probably be more tolerable (not that I know; haven't been pregnant.)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 10:29 am

^ Yes, I know that. Just because it's called "morning sickness" doesn't mean it automatically ends at noon. But when people think of morning sickness, they think of the horrible nausea women feel when they are pregnant for the first few months.

I wouldn't find it tolerable at any time of day. Nausea feels horrible and worse than any type of pain or discomfort.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 11:39 am

Let me tell you something.

Life can be cruel for women especially with the choices they're given. My mother got pregnant when she was in high school. She had two choices: Finish high school or raise a child. She could NOT HAVE BOTH. She chose abortion and graduated high school, college, and got a degree in finance. I was born when my mother was 19 and I remain the oldest of three siblings.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 12:09 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:

Life can be cruel for women especially with the choices they're given. My mother got pregnant when she was in high school. She had two choices: Finish high school or raise a child. She could NOT HAVE BOTH. She chose abortion and graduated high school, college, and got a degree in finance. I was born when my mother was 19 and I remain the oldest of three siblings.

Another option she had was have the baby and put it up for an adoption. She still chose abortion.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 1:12 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Another option she had was have the baby and put it up for an adoption. She still chose abortion.

Go through the pain of childbirth at the age she was at the time? She said nope.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Oct 2022, 1:45 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Killing a zygote or embryo is about analogous to swallowing.

Killing a foetus up to about 30 weeks is less bad than killing a mouse (ignoring that it's also a parasite).

Killing an unwanted newborn is about as bad as killing a chicken.

All changes if the baby is wanted, of course, as does whether it is in or out of the womb. If it's in the womb then the mother should have total control. If it is out of the womb then if anyone wants to take responsibility for it, then they should be able to.

If it is in the womb and the mother wants it, killing it is like killing a pet. If it is out of the womb and anyone wants it, likewise.

Let's make it super clear: this is a personal opinion of The_Walrus, not anything official for WP.

In particular, having experienced pregnancy, childbirth and motherhood (but not abortion nor miscarriage), I do not agree with this opinion.
Simply, it's not nearly that easy.

A forming human being is a forming human being, not a mouse nor a chicken. But this being is being formed at the expense of their mother's body, definitely not for free, it can be an enormous price.
I do accept both arguments.

"Is abortion as bad as killing a newborn"? If the newborn can be adopted, no - because there is an alternative. Current medicine can't transplant a fetus, so there is no third option. The mother might need to either sacrifice her health or her forming child, can't have both, no third way. This is a different dilemma than once the child is born and can be adopted.

I don't believe such decisions should be made by sweeping state policies.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 2:38 pm

No I think it's not as bad as killing a newborn baby. I consider a newborn to be fully aware whereas a fetus certainly a lot less so.