Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

23 Oct 2022, 8:18 pm

Hi, all. Not sure whether this is an autism thing or it's my generation (I am in my 30s, w/o being specific); but we tend to hold on to our childhoods longer than any other generation. I mean, I still like Garfield and Clifford the Big Red Dog; it could be because of myself, or how crappy the world is now that we still like what we like when we were kids.

Anyone want to say anything about this?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2022, 9:41 pm

It is something that brings you comfort, a "happy place". I think as we become more anxious about the world, the more that sort of thing is likely to happen. I don't think it's the domain of any one particular set of people, it just is.

If it is something that lessens stress, a place you can retreat into then it's a good thing, so long as you don't spend all your time there.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2022, 4:11 pm

I've loved horses and collecting rocks and fossils since I was in grade school. I am 71 this year, I don't plan changes with that. <3

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2022, 5:22 pm

I've enjoyed watching The Summer and Winter Olympics since I was 9. I've also liked computers since I was 9. I hope that never changes.

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2022, 12:35 pm

I don't. Tried to reconnect with a lot of my childhood interests like the cartoons I watched when I was a kid and it didn't work, I can't enjoy most of them now.

verbose
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2022, 12:00 am

Yes. I am putting together a collection of all the movies I saw from the late 70s to early 90s to serve as my time machine back to that era. I also play with legos with my 3 kids, and enjoy watching cartoons with them. I make spaghetti and meatballs for us all the time. Pizza, candy bars, popcorn, bike rides, role playing, videogames, board games.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 9:52 am

Nothing wrong with refusing to "put away the things of childhood" as such, if it does no harm. These days I can't get into most of my childhood interests, but I wish I could. But I still like shiny things, interesting colours etc.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 10:24 am

I mean, I’ve loved Pokemon (mainly the games) since I was a child, and I’m jn my 20s now.

#palestinianlivesmatter

stezel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2022, 3:06 pm

Totally--I think it's a major source of comfort for an autistic mind. You have to embrace narrow interests as they arise.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 9:54 pm

verbose wrote:
Yes. I am putting together a collection of all the movies I saw from the late 70s to early 90s to serve as my time machine back to that era. I also play with legos with my 3 kids, and enjoy watching cartoons with them. I make spaghetti and meatballs for us all the time. Pizza, candy bars, popcorn, bike rides, role playing, videogames, board games.
You sound like good fun. :)

I've been collecting stamps since I was 12. That's about the only obsession of mine that has stuck.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2022, 2:42 am

equestriatola wrote:
Hi, all. Not sure whether this is an autism thing or it's my generation (I am in my 30s, w/o being specific); but we tend to hold on to our childhoods longer than any other generation. I mean, I still like Garfield and Clifford the Big Red Dog; it could be because of myself, or how crappy the world is now that we still like what we like when we were kids.

Anyone want to say anything about this?

I thought Garfield was for both kids and adults.
I myself enjoy things that I liked as a kid but...not for the exact reason.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2022, 4:01 am

stezel wrote:
Totally--I think it's a major source of comfort for an autistic mind. You have to embrace narrow interests as they arise.

What do you mean? You have to do what?