Page 2 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 1:15 pm

I realised I do not get on well with thickeners e.g. gravy powder, xanthan gum etc. I try and avoid those as they aggravate my IBS and digestion.

I think Chinese restaurants use a lot of thickeners in their food so I avoid those.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 3:25 pm

dont you find it annoyingly ironic when people advice you to eat certain food to keep your immune system strong and healthy but then when you complain about too much wind they then advice you not to eat those same foods

i like to eat healthy like leafy green vegetables and certain fruits and nuts and beans and all that to keep my immune system up but some of those are the exact typically gassy food that we ibs people should avoid
but keeping in mind i get windy even if i dont eat the gassy sort of food lol.

i have a windy tummy right now and i havent eaten vegetables or anything like that today

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 12:28 pm

Caz72 wrote:
dont you find it annoyingly ironic when people advice you to eat certain food to keep your immune system strong and healthy but then when you complain about too much wind they then advice you not to eat those same foods

i like to eat healthy like leafy green vegetables and certain fruits and nuts and beans and all that to keep my immune system up but some of those are the exact typically gassy food that we ibs people should avoid
but keeping in mind i get windy even if i dont eat the gassy sort of food lol.

i have a windy tummy right now and i havent eaten vegetables or anything like that today

There are a lot of contradictions in healthy eating. Well, in everything these days. I generally find most health advice doesn't suit me e.g. eat lots of dietary fibre. Nope. That aggravates my digestive system.

Have you heard of the FODMAP diet? I think that soothes IBS. It's where you avoid certain foods but I can't remember what.

I've found not eating gluten and dairy soothes mine.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:03 am

Quote:

I've found not eating gluten and dairy soothes mine

drinking milk seems to relax my bowels even though it makes it gurgle louder it sometimes helps get the bubbles moving and releases
but milk also gives me a big bubble in my chest thats uncomfortable when i move but feels better after i belch

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 12:36 pm

Milk and other dairy products just filled my sinuses etc. with phlegm/mucus and stopped me breathing easily, it also upset my digestive system so I was constantly on the loo.

Gluten did more or less the same and gave me terrible IBS pain.

I'm so much healthier now.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 3:28 pm

i just get wind whatever i eat really

i think my guts just produce air as they digest food and drink

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 8:01 am

Caz72 wrote:
i just get wind whatever i eat really

i think my guts just produce air as they digest food and drink

I suppose getting wind is normal, it's just now humans all live indoors 24/7 we notice it more. When humans lived outside 24/7 I bet no one noticed who had wind.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 10:39 am

depends lol

last new year eve i ate so much food til very late at night my stomach was bubbling all night then the next day i had a bad windy tummy and rotten egg farts that kept grossing my husband and son out
as we wanted to spend new years day together as a family we decided to take a walk in the forest and i thought because we were outside i could break wind appropriatley but when i did they still smelt it

it would be better to break wind if people didnt react

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 12:18 pm

The other thing which has helped me is cultured foods e.g. kombucha, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi. Those really help me because they add helpful bacteria to your digestive system which digests all the nasties and so you fart less.

I started here: https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/

The lady who runs that site is really nice and helpful.

You could try that?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:40 pm

thanks i will have a look

i like that im able to talk about an embarrassing topic so maturely here without any stupid fart jokes or humiliation

:)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 5:30 am

Caz72 wrote:
thanks i will have a look

i like that im able to talk about an embarrassing topic so maturely here without any stupid fart jokes or humiliation

:)

I'm really beyond the age of joking about bodily functions. People should be more accepting of bodily functions- and when they go wrong, it isn't funny. And anyway, once you've had a baby and had loads of doctors, nurses, midwives doing things to you while you lie there naked, you kind of lose any sense of embarrassment don't you?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 11:47 am

my husband seem to think bodily functions that involve the anus are hilarious and never seems to get tired of it
he is the silly type and a bit immature but he has borderline personality disorder and possible adhd so he idnt exactly nt

one thing i cant eat and i mean CANT eat ever is any sugar free mints
every time iv had them i thought i had a tummy bug or something i got really dehydrated and was almost projectile from my anus and spent the rest of the day asleep in bed
once i learnt that candy without sugar makes my guts react like that i have steered clear from them

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 12:43 pm

Caz72 wrote:
my husband seem to think bodily functions that involve the anus are hilarious and never seems to get tired of it
he is the silly type and a bit immature but he has borderline personality disorder and possible adhd so he idnt exactly nt

one thing i cant eat and i mean CANT eat ever is any sugar free mints
every time iv had them i thought i had a tummy bug or something i got really dehydrated and was almost projectile from my anus and spent the rest of the day asleep in bed
once i learnt that candy without sugar makes my guts react like that i have steered clear from them

It seems to be a man thing to joke about anuses and farts etc. My theory is that women have so much more going on in our bodies that it stops being funny. Men have much simpler bodies so don't have to worry about much.

That artificial sweetener is very bad indeed.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 1:07 pm

my husband thinks burps are funny as well when other people do them

when i was nearly finished a meal the other day i hiccuped and think i had a little burp at the same time so i went to say pardon but as i was saying pardon a louder burp unexpectely came out
my husband giggled like a schoolgirl and i couldnt get him t stop

it got old really fast :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 1:22 pm

One thing my husband really laughs at is when words rhyme. e.g. if I said something like 'when Gary marries' he falls about laughing and keeps repeating the phrase.

It is so boring. Yes. Some English words rhyme. Get over it :roll:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 12:59 pm

Gas x or any product similar helps me with trapped tummy gas.Sometimes it’s because I can’t burp, so it hurts like colic.It feels like the air is trapped and I get awful pains under my shoulder blades.I avoid any carbonated drink with alcohol in it.Those are the worst.Oddly beer or cider doesn’t trigger it.Just stuff like wine coolers or mixed drinks with bubbles like rum and coke.
My IBS is triggered by food additives, too much dairy, greasy foods, stress and long periods riding in a vehicle.When that happens I take Imodium for diarrhea.