Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2022, 8:59 pm

How would things be done differently on your planet (or on this planet, if you ran it)?

There are two things I often fantasize about:

1) Rest rooms: Public venues would have rest rooms that were actually for resting. They would be small soundproofed rooms with lights that could be dimmed and a soft bench to sit or lie down on. This would be helpful for people suffering sensory or social overwhelm, as well as for people with physical ailments that required them to rest.

2) Invisibility hats: There would be a social convention that if someone was wearing a red hat, you would not try to interact with them any more than absolutely necessary. This would allow people to go out even when they were not up to social interactions without having to fear other people demanding their attention. They could even, say, go grocery shopping, and the cashier would tell them their total and give them change if necessary, but would otherwise refrain from talking to them. Some people would probably want to wear a red hat all the time, while other people would only do it some of the time.

Also, on my planet, all machines, such as cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, and leaf blowers, would be required to be as quiet as possible.

(ETA: This thread is for autism-related and similar things, not for general political brainstorming.)

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 2:48 am

Yeah, motor and other machine noises would be strictly controlled.
No jokes.
No gender roles. Probably not an autism thing but that's very important to me.

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2022, 3:31 pm

temp1234 wrote:
No gender roles. Probably not an autism thing but that's very important to me.

I'm not sure it isn't an autism thing. I've read that autistic people are more likely to be gender variant. And gender has a lot to do with social communication, which doesn't come naturally to autistic people.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 9:06 pm

Sensory aids (like earplugs, sunglasses, etc.) would be a "normal" thing to use.

Stim toys wouldn't be seen as "immature" or as a distraction.

Subtitles would be commonly used and most forms of media would provide them.

Giving detailed descriptions + visual demonstrations would be the default when explaining things to other people.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 11:39 pm

One minor change would be to replace all the back-up alarms with back-up cameras, returning the responsibility to the driver.
One medium change would be to throw out all the copyright and patent laws, and their army of lawyers, and replace them with a database showing who contributed to the growth of original work that got copied, and paying them small sums from the public purse to recognize them, and kick-start any further R&D fundraising.
One major change would be to limit the range of personal wealth to one order of magnitude. Nobody needs more, and nobody deserves less. (ascetics excepted) The range of talent is greater, but talent works for self-expression, and is inhibited by large financial risk. The advent of crowd-sourcing has made millionaires obsolete as a source of funds for research, etc.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 12:17 am

Dear_one wrote:
One minor change would be to replace all the back-up alarms with back-up cameras, returning the responsibility to the driver.
One medium change would be to throw out all the copyright and patent laws, and their army of lawyers, and replace them with a database showing who contributed to the growth of original work that got copied, and paying them small sums from the public purse to recognize them, and kick-start any further R&D fundraising.
One major change would be to limit the range of personal wealth to one order of magnitude. Nobody needs more, and nobody deserves less. (ascetics excepted) The range of talent is greater, but talent works for self-expression, and is inhibited by large financial risk. The advent of crowd-sourcing has made millionaires obsolete as a source of funds for research, etc.

Seconded for all those ideas, and I'd go further on the rich-poor divide and reduce it to rather less than 10:1.

I'd also get critical thinking on the school curriculum, as Finland does, apparently with good results:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63222819

But it wouldn't be only to mitigate the problem of fake news. I think with widespread critical thinking, there'd be a reduction in judgemental thoughts, and I've often thought that without judgemental behaviour from the general population, Aspies (and all other underprivileged groups) would have a much easier time of it. The teaching would have to be pretty extensive and made attractive to the students.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 12:29 am

^^ I'll second that. "We were learning what to think instead of how." -
Jon Sirkis, "Think for Yourself"

On the wealth limits, I'm expecting a fairly narrow bell curve, with the great majority close enough that they could easily relate to each other, and not worry about locking doors. The others proposing limits have gone for 1:4, but there's always a few weirdos, and I'd rather not interfere overmuch.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 1:17 am

Dear_one wrote:
^^ I'll second that. "We were learning what to think instead of how." -
Jon Sirkis, "Think for Yourself"

On the wealth limits, I'm expecting a fairly narrow bell curve, with the great majority close enough that they could easily relate to each other, and not worry about locking doors. The others proposing limits have gone for 1:4, but there's always a few weirdos, and I'd rather not interfere overmuch.

Hmm.....I was toying with 1:1, but I can't be certain there wouldn't be unintended side effects. OTOH I'd probably need to be an all-powerful deity to get my wish list done at all, so I'd be able to fix any knock-on problems with further divine intervention.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 8:23 am

No gender roles
Everyone who wants a job would have one
Everyone who wants a home would have one
Free Internet
Solar powered houses and apartments
Motor vehicles would be electric and quiet

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2022, 10:39 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Sensory aids (like earplugs, sunglasses, etc.) would be a "normal" thing to use.

I like this one. I was feeling self-conscious wearing my sunglasses in the grocery store earlier this week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 5:35 pm

Well this thread quickly turned into junk, it would appear . Imho .

where ever you go ,there you are

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 6:25 pm

All vehicles on my planet would be eerily quiet, except maybe a robotic "excuse me" to let you know if you're in the way. They would be slow, but very, very reliable / punctual.

All buildings would have excellent sound insulation as standard. Possibly recording studio grade.

Even in the biggest cities, you would never be more than 300 paces from a peaceful green park with plenty of benches.

Town libraries would be built on the scale of your average palace, and be clearly zoned into "talking areas" and "non-talking areas".

A nod with averted eyes would be accepeted as a polite and respectful form of greeting.

RenegadeWanderer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2022, 8:16 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
No gender roles
Everyone who wants a job would have one
Everyone who wants a home would have one
Free Internet
Solar powered houses and apartments
Motor vehicles would be electric and quiet

Now this is a planet I would love to live on :D

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 11:23 pm

Jakki wrote:
Well this thread quickly turned into junk, it would appear . Imho .

I think there's some hope that it was only a transient blip.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 11:37 pm

Ollywog wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I like this one. I was feeling self-conscious wearing my sunglasses in the grocery store earlier this week.

People sometimes think it's "weird" that I need those things, but I try to not let things like that get to me and make me stop using the things that help me. I figure if I get really bad anxiety or have a meltdown that it's worse or more embarrassing than using earplugs or wearing sunglasses or whatever.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 11:42 pm

I should add that there would be widely available and easily accessible public transportation "on my planet".

I would love to never have to worry about driving or being in a car. There's also a lot of autistic or otherwise disabled people who can't drive.