USA national anthem as played in Soviet-era Russia

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 10:54 pm

Here is a variant of the USA's national anthem that is said to have been played, decades ago, in Soviet-era Russia:

USA National Anthem, but it played in SOVIET RUSSIA (RUSSIAN Orchestral Cover)

Whereas the original anthem is in a major key, this version is in a minor key.

Not sure what the point of the key change was suppose do be. Perhaps the intent was to portray the U.S.A. as an ominous bunch of spooky villains?

However, if I'm not mistaken, there is plenty of similar-sounding Russian music that sounds a bit ominous to modern Western ears, but clearly was not originally intended to evoke evil spookiness. An example is Tschaikovsky's "Marche Slav" -- which, judging by its title at least, was intended to inspire pan-Slavic patriotism.

In the comments, different people have different reactions. Some people feel that this version actually sounds more patriotic than the original.

I would be interested in comments from someone familiar with Russian culture.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 10:28 pm

Not an expert on Russian culture and not the least bit intrested in their anti-American propaganda (I get enough of this self-loathing attitude from my fellow Americans), but when i think of Soviet music I picture something like this playing in my head.

https://youtu.be/d5Y0FykoYbc

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 4:25 pm

What's this? An actual 2015 Russian military parade, ironically marching to music from an American-made video game?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 8:19 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
What's this? An actual 2015 Russian military parade, ironically marching to music from an American-made video game?

Yup :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 10:22 pm

I'm not familiar with Russian culture either, but I found a possible clue to the puzzle of why they altered the tune:

https://laughingsquid.com/star-spangled ... s-russian/
Bailey also demonstrated the converse of the concept using the “Star Spangled Banner”, which eerily sounds like a Russian ballad when played in a minor key.
So maybe it's that simple - they were Russian musicians so they would tend to do that with music.

Incidentally, does anybody know what happened to Oleg Berg? He altered a lot of pop records from major to minor (and vice versa), but he hasn't been active on the Web for ages and most of his work has been removed. Maybe his recent inactivity has something to do with the fact that he lives (or lived) in the Ukraine? Here's one of the few works of his that's still there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvvjoD9CSs
I managed to download his altered version of The Beatles' "Hey Jude" before somebody wiped it off the face of the Internet. I like his version, and saw an aptness in it that you'd have to know a lot about the song's background to figure out, though I don't suppose that's why Oleg created it.