Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 10:14 am

Study: Pressure chamber therapy effective in improvement of autism

Quote:
A new study by researchers at Israel’s Tel Aviv University (TAU) succeeded in significantly improving social skills and the condition of the autistic brain through pressure chamber therapy.

In the study – conducted on animal models of autism – researchers identified changes in the brain, including a reduction in neuroinflammation, which is known to be associated with autism. Moreover, a significant improvement was found in the social functioning of the animal models treated in the pressure chamber.

The study’s success has many implications regarding the applicability and understanding of treating autism using pressure chamber therapy.

This breakthrough, published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences, was made under the leadership of doctoral student Inbar Fischer, from the laboratory of Dr. Boaz Barak of TAU’s Sagol School of Neuroscience and School of Psychological Sciences.

Fischer and Barak explained that hyperbaric medicine is a form of therapy in which patients are treated in special chambers where the atmospheric pressure is higher than the pressure we experience at sea level, and in addition are delivered 100 percent oxygen to breathe.

Hyperbaric medicine is considered safe and is already being used to treat a long list of medical conditions, including in Israel. In recent years, scientific evidence has been accumulating that unique protocols of hyperbaric treatments improve the supply of blood and oxygen to the brain, thereby improving brain function.

“The mutation in the animal models is identical to the mutation that exists in humans. Therefore, our research is likely to have clinical implications for improving the pathological condition of autism resulting from this genetic mutation, and likely also of autism stemming from other causes," Fischer said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 10:33 am

Have read about this therapy for years …and only read and heard good things about .For a variety of conditions that usually associated with physical healing. But the treatment costs are
Excessive, I feel . Hopeful to try it someday .

where ever you go ,there you are

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 10:47 am

More nonsense? Why can't they just accept the fact that our brains are wired differently? Why won't they change their own bad attitudes about autistic people instead of trying to change us?

No, that will never happen. They will always see us as uncanny valley freaks that can't feel emotions or pain or live decent lives with the proper living environment and people who are understanding and understanding. Or neckbeards that live in their mothers' basements that don't shower or brush their teeth and are creepily obsessed with anime or My Little Pony or whatever.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 10:48 am

How do they know what autism in animals even looks likes?

Seems like medical quack to me.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 10:50 am

Jakki wrote:
Have read about this therapy for years …and only read and heard good things about .For a variety of conditions that usually associated with physical healing. But the treatment costs are

Chances are, where huge costs are associated with simply increasing air pressure, bribery has been involved with all the positive feedback.

The treatment sounds like it'll easily cost less than $50 for several hours..........I'm sure they're charging a hell of a lot more in reality. I work in a place that requires a lot of compressed air and oxygen and the costs are negligible.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 12:54 pm

Nades wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Chances are, where huge costs are associated with simply increasing air pressure, bribery has been involved with all the positive feedback.

The treatment sounds like it'll easily cost less than $50 for several hours..........I'm sure they're charging a hell of a lot more in reality. I work in a place that requires a lot of compressed air and oxygen and the costs are negligible.

Yes agreed … people are out to make a buck … even at the cost of sick people . But I must say , I have read more than my share of positive testimonials about the treatment to heal wounds , especially ones with hard to resolve infections in the wound . Think the idea maybe is that the immune system may function better in a high concentration oxygen environment ?????? Maybe it decreases inflammation in general ? Which decreases systemwide stress, causing a person to be calmer? (Perhaps that is how they judge about effects on Aspie type situations) [ fewer meltdowns]. And ,,,yes btw how would you know if a wild critter had Asperger’s or Autism ?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 3:35 pm

Jakki wrote:
Hopeful to try it someday .

You must try it!

No pressure. :wink: :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 4:03 pm

Nades wrote:
How do they know what autism in animals even looks likes?

Seems like medical quack to me.

I suspect the animals didn't volunteer for the experiments either. Maybe a better experiment would be to invite Aspies to go deep-sea diving with oxygen tanks, in a carefully-controlled way of course. It would remove the obvious objection that their experimental animal models must be rather different from real people on the spectrum, and the Aspies would get a free diving experience.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 4:25 pm

Not trying to be rude..but deep sea diving with pressurized air tanks is a very different effect on living tissues than a
Entire oxygen rich atmosphere encompassing an entire human body. Normal human tissue does well with in the parameters of a hyperbaric pressurized environment. Whereas most bad pathogens do not .
Could go on with various connected issues regarding pathogens and methods of eliminating pathogens. Ad Nauseum
All rather expensive processes and not necessarily AMA approved.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 5:03 pm

Jakki wrote:
Not trying to be rude..but deep sea diving with pressurized air tanks is a very different effect on living tissues than a
Entire oxygen rich atmosphere encompassing an entire human body. Normal human tissue does well with in the parameters of a hyperbaric pressurized environment. Whereas most bad pathogens do not .
Could go on with various connected issues regarding pathogens and methods of eliminating pathogens. Ad Nauseum
All rather expensive processes and not necessarily AMA approved.

No offense taken. When I said "oxygen tanks" I meant that literally, i.e. not compressed air but oxygen or whatever oxygen-rich mixture the original experimenters used. I don't know whether oxygen tanks are considered safe for divers these days, all I know is they used to be fairly normal practice. If the therapeutic effect of the experiment required the skin to be bathed in the gas, then diving wouldn't work unless they had a special diving suit that caused that to happen. I don't know if the diving community has anything like that or not. I don't know what a diving session costs compared to a session in the experimenters' apparatus, or what the necessary training in safe diving would cost. More data required.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 2:16 am

Hmm, the idea of hyperbaric oxygen as an alleged treatment for autism (or at least to reduce the severity of some autistic traits) has been around for at least a decade. Here's a Scientific American article from way back in 2009. I don't know how many studies have been done since then, or what their results are like.

I've seen hyperbaric oxygen therapy mentioned in various lists of ineffective quack treatments for autism. How trustworthy the sources of those lists were, I don't know.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 10:35 am

I received that treatment to get rid of residual radiation for a procedure I needed. It was in a hospital setting. I did not notice any lessening of autistic traits.

During the treatment you are alone in the chamber with less sensory bombardment so maybe that is why autistic traits lesson?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman