Why envy people when I am not interested in what they do?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 10:22 am

I may have explained in previous threads why I can't understand why I find myself feeling as though I am jealous of someone even though the jobs or career they are doing doesn't really interest me. I get these feelings popping up like for example, seeing a guy my age or younger who is really smartly dressed and works as a CEO, businessman, an estate agent or a solicitor or someone who is my age or younger and is already a captain or leader in the military. But I mean I don't understand why I envy them when I don't feel interested much in being a business-man or going into the military. I seem to think, is it the fact that they are a leader that is the issue I have ? I don't know. In the past, when I used to dress in a suit at sixth form or when I wore one to job interviews, I made me feel like a ''somebody''.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 7:07 am

I think it's simply the fact they are (or seem) successful whatever their careers are that makes you jealous. You are feeling envious of (seemingly) successful people in general.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 10:42 am

temp1234 wrote:
I think it's simply the fact they are (or seem) successful whatever their careers are that makes you jealous. You are feeling envious of (seemingly) successful people in general.

That is exactly what it is. I sometimes wonder why I am not now a published author/writer while other people maybe younger than me are already seemingly successful at what they are doing and I'm still writing down ideas and then end up changing my ideas about the projects I do and it leaves me sometimes feeling like I haven't achieved anything.