Autistic Women and hospitalization for mental illness

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:28 pm

I don’t take any head meds except ADHD and a tablet at night to stop trauma nightmares. That being said I hope the bias in this thread against mental health, psychiatric medication, and hospital care won’t keep anyone from seeking the help they might need. Professional care can and does save lives.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Jan 2023, 2:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don’t take any head meds except ADHD and a tablet at night to stop trauma nightmares. That being said I hope the bias in this thread against mental health, psychiatric medication, and hospital care won’t keep anyone from seeking the help they might need. Professional care can and does save lives.

I agree: we shouldn't seek to abolish professional mental healthcare.
We need to improve professional mental healthcare.

I got out of that mess with a help of a better psychiatrist and the third therapist I tried finally managed to guide me from my state of a suffering vegetable back then to how I can live now.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:54 pm

Yes. Well put.

Also a reminder for readers that “mental illness” doesn’t always mean the person is crazy (for lack of a better word). Quite often a mental health crisis is precipitated by something like grief, pregnancy or child loss, eating disorders, personal illness, or abuse and trauma (physical or mental). It’s not always about Schizophrenia, BPD, etc.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 4:11 pm

I echo Magz. That’s my take on it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 4:32 pm

This is why I am put off seeking medical help for my depression and anxiety, because I worry that I might be taken away to a mental hospital and be treated badly like people seem to be in the UK in psych places (as ASPartOfMe has mentioned before in another thread).

I'd rather just stick to internet forums instead, although my therapist said internet forums aren't always a good idea because people often tell you what you don't want to hear and can make your (social) anxiety worse.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 6:11 am

People on the Internet sometimes don’t have the best of intentions.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Jan 2023, 7:33 am

Joe90 wrote:
This is why I am put off seeking medical help for my depression and anxiety, because I worry that I might be taken away to a mental hospital
Wut? There's absolutely no chance you'd be taken away to a mental hospital after a chat with your doctor.
Quote:
I'd rather just stick to internet forums instead, although my therapist said internet forums aren't always a good idea
You should listen to your therapist. :wink:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 7:14 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
This is why I am put off seeking medical help for my depression and anxiety, because I worry that I might be taken away to a mental hospital
Wut? There's absolutely no chance you'd be taken away to a mental hospital after a chat with your doctor.
Quote:
I'd rather just stick to internet forums instead, although my therapist said internet forums aren't always a good idea
You should listen to your therapist. :wink:

I can't not belong to this forum, I struggled during my 2-month ban! Well it was easy at first but after the first month I started to feel lost and desperate!

What's all this talk here about autistic women in the UK being kept in mental institutions for decades and being tortured? I never hear about it on the news.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jan 2023, 7:47 pm

Well, there's likely a very good reason why you don't hear about it on the news.
Hint: It's not because some evil, shadowy corporation is suppressing it. :wink:

But in any case - you simply cannot be taken away to a mental hospital just for talking to your doctor about depression and anxiety.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 8:22 pm

Abuse that goes on in care homes often gets announced on the news. They even bring out documentaries on it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 9:18 pm

The people stuck in hospital wards and put in care homes are generally not people with steady jobs and relationships. They are people who the family can not handle, violent meltdowns, that type of thing.

That does not excuse in any way what is being done to them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jan 2023, 7:07 am

Joe90 wrote:
Abuse that goes on in care homes often gets announced on the news. They even bring out documentaries on it.
Wait, what now? You'd said you never hear about it on the news. :?
Anyway, that's not the same thing as being carted off to a mental hospital for discussing depression and anxiety with your doctor.

Unfortunately abuse does exist in many forms in care-giving situations, often starting in the cases ASPartOfMe relates - but your worry isn't one of them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 7:14 am

They wouldn’t cart you off to a mental hospital unless you are seen as dangerous to yourself or others.

Like if you physically assault the therapist, or break his furniture or something.

At the very least, it would be a hassle for the therapist to have to go through all the paperwork, and wait for the ambulance while other patients are waiting.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jan 2023, 7:18 am

Yes - sectioning someone for their own/others' protection is not done on a therapist's whim.
(from recent experience, where a family member was sectioned)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 7:23 am

Cornflake wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Wait, what now? You'd said you never hear about it on the news. :?
Anyway, that's not the same thing as being carted off to a mental hospital for discussing depression and anxiety with your doctor.

Unfortunately abuse does exist in many forms in care-giving situations, often starting in the cases ASPartOfMe relates - but your worry isn't one of them.

I meant I never hear any mention of autistic being tortured for years on end in mental institutions in the UK but I do hear of it going on in care homes so it's not like they hide all these things from the media. Autism is very seldom mentioned on the news at all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 7:35 am

I’ve had therapists for years. I’ve discussed feelings of depression, wanting to hurt myself, stuff like that.

No mention was ever made of “sectioning” me.

Now…..if I were to ransack his office, that would be a different story.

Just don’t break anything in his office, or try to punch him.