Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 11:28 am

Created a Twitter account today to see what all the fuss was about. Not impressed. Far too much unwanted crap in the feed. Followed a few scientists who I admire and was in the middle of watching a short film posted by one of them when a full screen message appeared saying my Twitter account had been locked for "unusual activity" whatever that means! :lol: Twitter demanded to know my phone number before they would unlock the account. As I don't trust them with that information, that is the end of that. Twitter user for all of thirty minutes.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 4:51 pm

8O

I'll admit I did get some use out of it once. I publicly addressed a restaurant chain in my tweet for emptying out my account with them, I actually got a customer service response that led to a correction.

I don't remember how much information I provided them, but that was a couple years ago. I don't think I'd give my phone number to them.

LOL I think Elon is paranoid about fake bot accounts so they will all get verified now.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 2:41 am

Having spoken to a few others, it sounds like Twitter lie when they say they have detected unusual activity on the account, it is just a ploy to force people who signed up using an email address, to give Twitter their phone number. Not going to give it to them, so that's the end of Twitter for me. I wasn't overly impressed anyway, far too much crap in the feed to wade through to find stuff I actually want to read. I wasn't even actively doing anything when the message came up, I was passively watching a short film someone had posted. The claim of "unusual activity" is just bollocks.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 8:24 pm

Twitter is garbage. Hopefully it'll become less woke and annoying with Musk in charge.

Aside from any politics, it just seems like a waste of time to me

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2022, 2:49 pm

Radish wrote:
Created a Twitter account today to see what all the fuss was about. Not impressed. Far too much unwanted crap in the feed. Followed a few scientists who I admire and was in the middle of watching a short film posted by one of them when a full screen message appeared saying my Twitter account had been locked for "unusual activity" whatever that means! :lol: Twitter demanded to know my phone number before they would unlock the account. As I don't trust them with that information, that is the end of that. Twitter user for all of thirty minutes.

Think you made the smart move. Musk will likely make Twitter worse, but the platform is inherently terrible and no one should use it. Really hope this ends up killing Twitter entirely, but optimism doesn't usually pan out.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 12:24 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Twitter is garbage. Hopefully it'll become less woke and annoying with Musk in charge.

I've never used Twitter, but I think it's a good thing that it's now owned by someone who wants to put a stop to all of this "woke" nonsense.

No doubt Musk would also be feeling quite stupid right now for shelling out an obscene amount of money for a white elephant.

Twitter, Facebook and many other online meeting places have become an echo chamber of left winged hand wringing sooks who want to influence how people think, they're an extension of main stream media.

That being said I still won't be a Twitter user now that he owns it.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 12:26 am

Twitter makes me want to cry with its wokeness.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 12:38 am

It was funny recently seeing Mark Cuckersperg close to tears that his beloved Facebook had lost a huge amount of it's share value. After so long of trying to control and dictate what people say and how they think it seems the masses have had enough of his "woke" mind control. An example is the way Facebook monitors private messaging and sees fit to edit personal messages of website URLs that it doesn't like.

Free speech ain't free when it's censored.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 2:46 am

Eurythmic wrote:
It was funny recently seeing Mark Cuckersperg close to tears that his beloved Facebook had lost a huge amount of it's share value. After so long of trying to control and dictate what people say and how they think it seems the masses have had enough of his "woke" mind control. An example is the way Facebook monitors private messaging and sees fit to edit personal messages of website URLs that it doesn't like.

I doubt the Metaverse will ever come to fruition. Time will tell I suppose.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 5:52 pm

Once or twice I toyed with the idea of leaving Facebook (because of how crap it is) and using Twitter instead, but it didn't look any better so I didn't bother. When I heard what the new owner was doing to staff contracts recently, that put the icing on the cake, and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole now. I suspect both platforms are guilty of trying to look all right-on and community spirited while being nothing of the kind. Facebook recently made its code ridiculously complicated without improving the functionality at all, probably just to make it harder for ad blockers to work properly. Meanwhile features that used to work are now full of bugs or just removed. I expect Twitter will do the same thing if it hasn't already.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 6:48 pm

Radish wrote:
a full screen message appeared saying my Twitter account had been locked for "unusual activity" whatever that means! :lol: Twitter demanded to know my phone number before they would unlock the account

That's been the case for years, that's not an Elon-era addition. It is, of course, total nonsense, the part about unusual activity. It is just an excuse to get your phone number.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:16 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
I've never used Twitter, but I think it's a good thing that it's now owned by someone who wants to put a stop to all of this "woke" nonsense.

Some ppl actually denied that Twitter was a left-wing haven before the takeover. 8O

At least with Muskrat, there is some political fairness now.
It will be interesting to see if it survives.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:18 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Twitter makes me want to cry with its wokeness.

You weren't the only one. :mrgreen:

It was funny when Muskrat presented a pic of the woke T-Shirts that he found in the cupboard. :lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:23 pm

Eurythmic wrote:

Suck-a-t*** was a disgrace with his political machinations.
This is the man who stole the company from his classmates.
What do we expect?
Integrity? 8O :lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:24 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Eurythmic wrote:

I doubt the Metaverse will ever come to fruition. Time will tell I suppose.

I was told he put 70% of his wealth into "Metaverse".
I won't cry if it fails. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:28 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Once or twice I toyed with the idea of leaving Facebook (because of how crap it is) and using Twitter instead, but it didn't look any better so I didn't bother. When I heard what the new owner was doing to staff contracts recently,

My best guess is that he wanted to remove the hard-left culture of Twitter.
Start afresh with fewer partisan ppl.
Just speculation on my part. :shrug: