Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Oct 2022, 9:31 pm

Hi!

I actually made an account here some years ago, since I wanted to learn more about portraying people on the spectrum when writing fiction. You were all quite helpful!

About a month-and-a-half ago, I was diagnosed with ADHD. Specifically, overfocused ADHD. Here, I'm able to pay attention, but it's difficult for me to switch gears, so to speak. The traits of overfocused ADHD also match up pretty well with various difficulties I've had with my own life (disorganization, forgetfulness, executive dysfunction).

I'm not currently on any medications. While I'm not opposed to them, most of the ones I've seen have side-effects that make me somewhat reluctant to try them. Further, my case seems to be relatively mild.

Mostly, I was curious if anyone else here has overfocused ADHD and what techniques they've used to manage it. I'm leaving post-it notes and trying to build up habits, though this is somewhat difficult for me to do consistently. I'm also taking more zinc.

Outside of ADHD, I have not been tested in regards to being on the autism spectrum. Though my therapist did once tell me that I'm "definitely not neurotypical". :lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 7:41 am

Minder wrote:
(disorganization, forgetfulness, executive dysfunction)

Mostly, I was curious if anyone else here has overfocused ADHD and what techniques they've used to manage it. I'm leaving post-it notes and trying to build up habits, though this is somewhat difficult for me to do consistently.

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

I use a daily planner to keep track of important events or things to do. And it works fine for me.

Before I retired over ten years ago, I used a very detailed system. I broke apart all the things that needed to be done into a complex log with exact due-dates and elements that could throw a halt to completing a task. I guess the bottom line is that many methods exist to track your efforts and make sure that you achieve them on time.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 10:46 am

Welcome to WP!

Minder wrote:
Outside of ADHD, I have not been tested in regards to being on the autism spectrum. Though my therapist did once tell me that I'm "definitely not neurotypical".
Note that having ADHD definitely qualifies as "not neurotypical".

My bride is ADHD...makes me tired.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2022, 11:39 am

jimmy m wrote:
Minder wrote:
(disorganization, forgetfulness, executive dysfunction)

Mostly, I was curious if anyone else here has overfocused ADHD and what techniques they've used to manage it. I'm leaving post-it notes and trying to build up habits, though this is somewhat difficult for me to do consistently.

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

I use a daily planner to keep track of important events or things to do. And it works fine for me.

Before I retired over ten years ago, I used a very detailed system. I broke apart all the things that needed to be done into a complex log with exact due-dates and elements that could throw a halt to completing a task. I guess the bottom line is that many methods exist to track your efforts and make sure that you achieve them on time.

I've definitely gotten better at writing things down in a planner. Doing so is still strangely difficult for me, so I have a hard time doing it consistently. But it does help.

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP!
Minder wrote:
Outside of ADHD, I have not been tested in regards to being on the autism spectrum. Though my therapist did once tell me that I'm "definitely not neurotypical".
Note that having ADHD definitely qualifies as "not neurotypical".

Yeah, part of why I want to get a better handle on this is so that it isn't so draining to my loved ones. They've been patient, but I need to do my part.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 5:35 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 12:49 pm

Welcome back :mrgreen:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 1:10 pm

Minder wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Yeah, part of why I want to get a better handle on this is so that it isn't so draining to my loved ones. They've been patient, but I need to do my part.
In some ways my bride's ADHD and my Autism complement each other.

I'm strongly-introverted mildly-Autistic and she is mildly-introverted strongly-ADHD.

I'm happy to hole up at home alone and she is naturally involved in many things away from home. (And she usually ends up helping run anything she gets involved in!)

I nudge things toward a predictable schedule and routine, and she...um...keeps things interesting. (Oh. To a large extent she is in charge of social communications for both of us—including my relatives!)

Somewhere in the middle a lot can get done.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 5:41 am

welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 5:03 pm

I have a nice whom was diagnosed as such when she was a teenager and hopefully, you'll not only find comprehensive information that helps benefit you within all aspects of your life as well, make meaningful friendships here on this site.