Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 8:06 am

Scots children waiting upwards of four years for autism assessment, figures show

Quote:
Almost half of children awaiting an autism assessment have been doing so for more than a year – with hundreds more waiting upwards of four years, figures show.

Data obtained by the Scottish Conservatives using freedom of information legislation shows that of the 12,500 children referred for an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) assessment and still awaiting one, 5,700 have been waiting more than 12 months.

One in five children – 2,180 – have waited more than two years, while 240 have waited more than four years, according to the figures.

Four of Scotland’s 14 NHS boards said they did not have the figures on assessment waiting times, meaning the true figure cannot be fully understood.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 12:00 pm

This is what happens after years of Thatcherism, and Austerity. With the proper funding, there would not be such long waits for NHS services.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 2:26 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Scots children waiting upwards of four years for autism assessment, figures show
Quote:
Almost half of children awaiting an autism assessment have been doing so for more than a year – with hundreds more waiting upwards of four years, figures show.

Data obtained by the Scottish Conservatives using freedom of information legislation shows that of the 12,500 children referred for an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) assessment and still awaiting one, 5,700 have been waiting more than 12 months.

One in five children – 2,180 – have waited more than two years, while 240 have waited more than four years, according to the figures.

Four of Scotland’s 14 NHS boards said they did not have the figures on assessment waiting times, meaning the true figure cannot be fully understood.

That is not too bad. Was an actual six years in Wales not that long ago as brothers ex. 'GFs child was put on the list at the age of three and was seen at the age of nine. A highly intelligent child who could not read or write and school was not allowed to help her learn to read and write until she had first been assessed so she did not learn to read or write until after she was assessed at the age of nine.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 6:52 am

just wow. how many years for an adult assessment (ironic question, no real answers, are there? ) Sorry to hear this is so.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 9:14 am

The only one I know of was in Wales was my brothers ex GF's child which was a six year wait but that was around five or six years ago. The Welsh Assembly have since given a large cash injection into mental health services and they were making big progress on reducing the waiting lists before covid hit.
I am an adult and I have been waiting three and a half years, but am not sure what will happen as I am relocating.
Are children on a different waiting list compared to adults? What happens to achild on the list if while waiting the child becomes an adult if they are on separate lists? Aso even if they are classed as children, most older children will be displaying adult-like qualities so as an example, one young child maybe at the 1+2 level of their learning, and another older child maybe close to university level so does this make a difference to assess?
I was given private tutoring for an evening a week at great expense to my parents as a teenager as I was said to be falling behind, and while I was well into algebra, triganomitry etc while in school, but this so called "Expert highly qualified" teacher insisted in spending the whole year in trying toteach me my ABC's and 1+2's despite me actually bringing in my schoolwork once to show her which sadly she refused to look at, but I am guessing that this can be the difference in trying to assess a young child andan older child? I wonder how they can do it with such varying abilities? Not sure what they look for.