Zero Empathy in Seoul following mass stampede

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 4:53 am

In a shocking story, a unamed K-pop star caused mass stampede in an outdoor Halloween event in Seoul South Korea.

The crowds of young people paid little heed to the hundreds crushed underfoot in order to get a glimpse of their idol.
The death toll from the stampede is now at least 151 and injured about 150 others, including 19 foreigners (that number is expected rise).
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/dist ... 8315ec5622

What makes this story worse is that hundreds of people witnessing the dead bodies chose to continue dancing and singing as ambulances piled up the dead (see below)

People in South Korea are condemning the young people who continued to party over the dead bodies but I am wondering if this how they have been bought up? when you have a nation of tiger mom's forcing their children to be selfish and self-centred in order to succeed perhaps the parents to blame for this horrific lack of empathy for their peers who lay dead around them.

This story is most bizarre in how a 20 year old can be totally devoid of feeling for another dead 20yr old lying a few feet away??

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 5:02 am

The life of a typical young South Korean is a living hell anyway. They might have been indifferent to the event.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 10:44 am

People are blaming a celebrity for all this, all because he arrived at the spot so people rushed to see him causing this stampede to happen. I would hate to be a famous celebrity and be blamed for other people's stupidity because of my existence. They have a right to live a life too you know.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 10:49 am

I personally can't understand how other people can stand being in such tightly packed crowds. You can't even see anything when you're surrounded by so many people. You can't move or breathe or think. It's a known fact that no animal, no matter how social it naturally is, takes well to overcrowding, and that includes humans.

Of course, I do know in some other cultures people don't have as much personal space.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 10:57 am

This was found on a News Corp site, it's most likely total BS. I once proposed banning all Murdoch sourced content on WP perhaps I'll resubmit that proposal.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2022, 11:04 am

I do wonder how much situational awareness the partiers had. They may not have realized the severity. If someone just partied in one street and saw one ambulance, they may have figured someone passed out/got sick or something.

Also, I can actually see things being made much worse if random passersby tried to help. There's a reason we have professionals for this sort of thing. Regular people getting involved could have accidentally caused injury, delayed the professionals, etc.

Not letting everyone in the crowd off the hook, but I'm a little suspicious about how quickly the blame's being spread around.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 11:11 am

MaxE wrote:
This was found on a News Corp site, it's most likely total BS. I once proposed banning all Murdoch sourced content on WP perhaps I'll resubmit that proposal.

I don't understand why you would think this is fake news?

I heard about this on CNN last night when my husband was listening about it on YouTube. This isn't the only time people have been crushed to death.

If in doubt, Google the story to see if other news sources are covering it.

Edit:

I guess I see what he was saying, other sources are not mentioning people rushed to see a celebrity. Maybe thst is what he meant by this is BS? Not that this whole thing didn't happen.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Last edited by League_Girl on 30 Oct 2022, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 11:13 am

Minder wrote:
I do wonder how much situational awareness the partiers had. They may not have realized the severity. If someone just partied in one street and saw one ambulance, they may have figured someone passed out/got sick or something.

Also, I can actually see things being made much worse if random passersby tried to help. There's a reason we have professionals for this sort of thing. Regular people getting involved could have accidentally caused injury, delayed the professionals, etc.

Not letting everyone in the crowd off the hook, but I'm a little suspicious about how quickly the blame's being spread around.

It does remind me a lot of the Hillsborough Disaster in Britain in the 1980s, when around 100 people were crushed to death in a football stadium. The local police blamed Liverpool fans for "acting like yobs" and the press picked up on it, particularly the Sun. An inquiry put the blame firmly on the police themselves, for bungled crowd-control measures that had made the situation worse. Even today, many people in Liverpool hate the Sun on principle.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 11:17 am

I would guess they were in shock.It would be too much to take in.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 11:34 am

League_Girl wrote:
MaxE wrote:

I heard about this on CNN last night when my husband was listening about it on YouTube. This isn't the only time people have been crushed to death.

Edit:

I guess I see what he was saying, other sources are not mentioning people rushed to see a celebrity. Maybe thst is what he meant by this is BS? Not that this whole thing didn't happen.

No I meant the claim that people continued to party despite being aware of the nearby corpses of their peers. Easily faked for the sake of getting the public agitated, which is one means for a propagandist like Murdoch to further his agenda.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 5:51 pm

MaxE wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Edit:

No I meant the claim that people continued to party despite being aware of the nearby corpses of their peers. Easily faked for the sake of getting the public agitated, which is one means for a propagandist like Murdoch to further his agenda.

Goof point....I'll see if I can find another source to verify this

Here's an article from the associated press
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/29/11326159 ... -halloween
Even after last night's tragedy, partying has continued on the side streets of Itaewon into the morning.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 5:54 pm

Minder wrote:

Much of the criticism/blame is coming from South Koreans themselves. This looks bad.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 8:09 pm

MaxE wrote:
I had a direct, live video feed from a friend attending the event.  She is a concessionaire/caterer.

She also tried to help the injured and dying nearest to her.  Some did not make it

Your heartless and cowardly act of labelling it "total BS" is an insult to those directly involved -- the living AND the dead.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 8:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Goof point....I'll see if I can find another source to verify this

Here's an article from the associated press
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/29/11326159 ... -halloween
Even after last night's tragedy, partying has continued on the side streets of Itaewon into the morning.

Note that in that article they just mentioned in the last sentence that some people continued to party. TBH I can see why people would unless they were in the immediate vicinity of that alley, or if the police ordered them to disperse. Here's a good article
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stefficao/seoul-halloween-crowd-surge-deaths

This situation was probably unforeseeable although some poor slob is probably going to have to take the blame.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 8:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
MaxE wrote:
I had a direct, live video feed from a friend attending the event.  She is a concessionaire/caterer.

She also tried to help the injured and dying nearest to her.  Some did not make it

Your heartless and cowardly act of labelling it "total BS" is an insult to those directly involved -- the living AND the dead.

This reaction was to the "lack of empathy" point made by the OP not the facts of the situation. I'm not that stupid.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 9:57 pm

i suppose dressing up as a dead K-pop fan for Halloween would be in bad taste.