Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2022, 5:21 am

I now part of a drama group for people with ASD.
This has still given me some frustration. I mean, without the NT focus we still have problems.

I have some questions for you:
I've been thinking how we sometimes are forced to do improv and drama games.
Some people like them but I am not sure that I am one of those people.
To me they are "just do the thing. You already have the skills needed!".
This is true even for the ASD group.
Qiestion: Don't we neeed more skills training because of ASD? I have heard that we need more focus on skills training at the beginning when we have ASD.

I am not sure that I always have the skills.
I think these kinds of exercises ask you to be more playful which can be really bad for me.
Question: why focus on be more playful when haven't even focused on the skills needed to be more playful?
I can tell you that this is true beyond the drama groups. It is every where I guess.

What works best for me is when I get to focus more on skills training before I get playful. Sadly, theatre groups do it the other way around. Even when it is an ASD group.
Question: are groups for people with ASD really that different for groups with NT focus?

I did one exercise in which I entered a squeeking door. It was a mine exercise. I had to pretend to walk into a door and make the squeeking noise. It was easy as I had already done the skills training and had already focused on all the details involved.
Question: Do we really have to fo all these games? Isn't skills training also a thing that we should focus on? I mean, we can't focus on the details unless we do skill training, right?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 6:02 am

Acting is when someone writes a script, the director decides how it should be portrayed, and the actor follows his instruction.

Improv is when the actor does it all.

Whether NT or not, the talent to do this varies.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2022, 9:15 am

timf wrote:
Acting is when someone writes a script, the director decides how it should be portrayed, and the actor follows his instruction.

Improv is when the actor does it all.

Whether NT or not, the talent to do this varies.

Isn't both acting?